Casting for 7.62X39 bullets /312-155-R2

PDshooter

Just getting to $$$ to buy bullets for the SKS. Been casting for my 45ACP since 88. I figure I buy a "El cheapo" mold from LEE for $20 and give it a try.
Lee762X39.jpg

155GR bullet mold with 26GR of IMR-4895.......When the temp, rise above 30deg, it will be range time!:)

cgaengineer

Those look great, but wont you have trouble with the gas system using lead bullets? I was told that if I used lead bullets for .30 Carbine it would foul the gas system.

If you know something I dont, please fill me in.

kraigwy

but wont you have trouble with the gas system using lead bullets? I

Nope, I've shot thousands of cast bullets through gas guns, not an AK, but M1, M1A and AR.

They make good loads for winter practice shooting 50 ft Small Bore targets indoors. In fact I shoot lead bullets in almost all my guns.

cgaengineer

Im going to look into casting some boolits. So does lead also work well in a stainless AR barrel?

I am guessing for a Glock I need a different barrel?

keebo52

Those look great. I have the same mold and plan to do the same for my SKS and AKs. I've used the mold in the past for light loads form my 7.62 x 54R MNs. Are you heat treating and what diameter are you sizing? My mold cast .312 so I run them through a lee .314 to seat the GC and pan lube.

Keith

PDshooter

No heat treating......But I was thinking the next time droping them into a 5Gal, bucket of water from the mold...Sizing .311