casting bullets for the ak47?

cajun47

i have ton of lead weights from shrimp trawls and diver weights. im wondering if i can cast lead 7.62 bullets for the ak47. is it alright to shoot pure lead bullets in a rifle?(no copper).

100W_Warlock

Will work, but, must be prepped...

Your going to get some leading no matter what.

I have read of folks using Lee Liquid Alox to coat the bullets so that leading can be reduced, but, never eliminated.

Plated bullets may be your best bet, but, those don't work terribly well above 1500fps.

ok41

hey cajun,
Seems lot a lot of workto cast bullets for the one ammo that I can buy oh so cheap! Perhaps there's a 357 or 44 in your future. Much more profitable for casting your own pills.

Rimrod

You will want to alloy the lead to make it harder. Pure lead is only good for blackpowder and shotguns.

Lee makes a couple of bullet moulds for the 7.62X39 which work pretty well. Use gas checks to keep leading down too.

cloudcroft

cajun47,

The short answer is no, you can't: The rule is no lead bullets in semi-auto guns with gas tubes/pistons. This goes for rifles/carbines and even pistols (like the Desert Eagle).

In bolt actions they're just fine...at reduced velocities. Or use paper-patched lead bullets for higher velocities if you MUST have that.

The long answer has already been addressed by other posters above.

Buy bulk FMJ bullets instead if available and forget casting for the AK.

-- John D.

Gewehr98

Some folks run cast bullets in their Yugo SKS rifles.

They shut off the gas port via the Yugo's grenade launching valve.

Problem is, even as a single-shot 7.62x39, the cast bullet still runs across the gas port in the barrel, shaving off a smidgen each time. Cleaning lead fouling out of a gas port is a royal pain in the tuchus. Gas-checked cast bullets tend to alleviate the problem a little bit, but the bullet's bearing surface still smears against the gas port enroute to the muzzle.

Berry's makes a plated 7.62x39gr bullet, 110gr, for $64.39/1000. I buy Golden West Brass brand 124gr jacketed bullets for my AK/SKS rifles, they go $75.00/1000. I still shoot and cast all sorts of lead alloy bullets, but not for my gas guns. It's not worth the hassle.

snuffy

It CAN be done

Take a look at this write-up;
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13453

As long as the bullet has a gas check,(most of them do), the fouling of the gas port and piston is minimal. That does NOT mean that it don't have to be cleaned! Sure, you can shoot boatloads of jacketed bullets through one of those AK's or SKS rifles without cleaning, but with a little more care cast bullets can be used.

As far as the AR-15, there's some on the cast boolits forum that have been doing it. Again there's more cleaning involved of the gas system. The main question always is WHY? Because we can! Or more importantly, some day we may HAVE TO! Knowing how in advance, and knowing it will work in a SHTF scenario, could be the difference between survival or not.

Gewehr98

Yeah, folks will always find a way to do something, that's a given.

Doesn't mean it's the smartest thing to do, though. Clark used to publish some seriously ohmygawsh handloads here that converted a .380 ACP into a .357 Magnum, too.

I've found considerable lead build-up in my AK and SKS rifle gas systems after shooting a magazine or two of jacketed soft points. I would cringe at the amount of leading I'd have to clean after running a cast bullet at 2400fps, with or without gas checks or super-dooper bullet lube. Cast bullets obturate to fill the bores, lest we forget. Gas checks are somewhat after the fact, and will scrape the bore clean, but not the gas port.

Now if you're fighting off the waves of U.N. Blue Helmets marching up your driveway, go for it, lead fouling is of only minor concern at that moment. Just make sure you have a "Plan B" when their artillery or close air support finds the exact range to your position. :rolleyes: