cast loads for 1895G guide gun

gunney 67

I have been told that it is unsafe to fire cast lead bullets thru the 1895G guide gun with the ported barrel because of lead shaving at the ports. Is this true? It is the 45-70 version. Any actual experience would be appreciated. Thanks

Sam06

I have one and all I shoot are cast bullets out of it. I have never had a problem with lead shavings clogging the ports or anything else. Marlin made that gun to shoot Cast bullets. They got rid of the Micro groove in that model so it would shoot cast and Mine loves cast. 425 grainers are its favorite.

The ports will cause some gas cutting at the bases of lead bullets. I think most of that splatter at the ports will simply blow out of them on your gun, so you may have environmental issues from throwing lead into the air in some indoor ranges? Unlike muzzle splatter, which is directed downrange, it will partly be directed up over the head of the shooter by the ports. I have a front sight extension on my old bull barrel Mark I Ruger target pistol that overhangs the muzzle. Just firing .22 LR standard velocity ammunition, it eventually builds up quite a lump of lead splatter on the underside of its overhanging portion. So it doesn't take a lot of pressure or gas volume to cause splatter. .22 Short pistols for use in international rapid fire matches, such as in the Pentathlon, for example, often have ports at the top to reduce what little muzzle flip a plain muzzle version might have. At that low pressure they don't cut enough lead off one side of the bullet base to affect accuracy; at least, not as it pertains to the relatively large rapid fire targets. They don't clog, either, AFAIK.

Though alloy hardness probably has some effect, all plain base bullets will be gas cut by muzzle blast in an unported gun. At high enough pressure with some alloys, it is conceivable the top edge of the bullet base under the Marlin GG ports could loose enough lead to unbalance the bullet a little and affect peak accuracy. But that is just speculation on my part. I don't actually know without doing some experiments.

The solution to all the gas cutting above is to use cast bullets with gas checks. Even card wads or poly-wads (discs cut from 1/16" low density polyethylene sheet (LDPE) with a sharpened case mouth; also called p-wads) or good old fashioned paper patching of bullets should largely mitigate the splatter.

Last edited: