Cast lead in my Garand!

chris in va

I did my research, worked up a bullet/load combination and fired two clips today. :D

No perceivable leading on the piston or in the gas cylinder, port was clear. Once I tweak the formula a bit I may not have to rely on finding proper FMJ and save powder to boot.

Lee 155gr gas checked, 45/45/10 tumble lubed, sized to .310
36gr 4895

The first clip chrono'ed around 2050 and most didn't cycle but all fed fine. Second clip cycled decently and ejected around 4 o'clock about 15' away, but speed dropped to 1950 on average. Not sure why these cycled better.

skizzums

that's impressive that your not getting any leading at that speed. I am scared to ever try traditional lube again in a rifle. you must have a great alloy and a perfect fit along with your lube and GC

Wreck-n-Crew

That gas check is you best friend right now it seems! ;) BTW how much powder you saving bout 10gr per?

What are you running your fmj's too? My understanding you can't go past 2700 FPS in a Garand.

res45

I would go with a heavier bullet in the 175 to 200 gr. range such as the Lyman 311299 or 314299 gas checked and sized to 310 to .311". The lighter 155 gr. bullets are requiring you to drive it to fast for reliable functioning of the action.

The 200 gr. bullet will probably give you best results with velocity in the 1800 to 1900 fps. range using 4895 and accuracy should match the rifles capability at those velocities.

Search Garand cast loads over on the cast bullet forum for load data.

chris in va

I would go with a heavier bullet, but funds dictate this is what I use.

Today I put six clips through, ranging from 34 to 38.

34...didn't cycle second round, cycled the rest. Same with 35, 36 and 38.:confused:

37 seems to be the sweet spot. Cycled all, ejected clip. Runs about 2100fps.

No obvious leading in the cylinder or on the piston. Pretty happy about this!

Oh and another thing, I can't believe how versatile 4895 is. Stuff a x39 case with it under the cast bullet, same with 5.56...works perfectly. Amazing stuff.