Cast in 97b?

chris in va

As with my 75BD, my new 97 is being picky with my cast reloads.

Lee 452-230-1R mold, tumble lubed
4.3gr Universal
1.21oal (won't chamber, tried 1.19...still doesn't)

It was suggested I push them down to 1.17oal and try using the FCD that hasn't been used yet.

If for some weird reason I can't get this mold to work, any other Lee mold recommended?

PawPaw

When my .45 ACP won't chamber, the first thing I look at is the crimp. You don't crimp it like you would for ... say... a .357 magnum, but you do want to iron out the flare.

Then, check seating depth.

Adamantium

I doubt OAL is what is keeping them from chambering. The best way to trouble shoot this would be to take out your barrel and have it sitting next to you at the reloading bench. That way you are getting instant feedback.

First off are you sizing the bullets after casting? If not are you measuring them? The ".452" isn't always exact. Molds will usually throw a little large to be on the safe side because you can always size them down but not up.

Also are the rounds almost chambering but slowing down about an 1/8th of an inch out? That is usually a sure fire sign that you are leaving some bell in the case mouth after seating the bullet. I assume you are using Lee dies? Any easy way to test is take 1 round, drop it into your chamber and if it doesn't chamber and if it doesn't run it through the FCD and test it again. If it drops right in and comes out just as easy you have found your problem.

If you want to start just running all the rounds through the FCD you can, but you should be able to save yourself some time by double checking your seating die. Take the die out and raise a case without a bullet all the way up. Screw the die in until it stops because it is in contact with the case, lower the case and give it about 1/2 turn and set the lock ring. Use the top screw to give you correct OAL (1.25 - 1.2 works). Now seat a bullet and put it in the chamber, if it still doesn't chamber give the die another 1/4th turn. Repeat until the bullets chamber or you are getting shaved lead rings or bullet bulge. Hopefully you can find a good setting so the FCD isn't a must.

Hope it helps and if you are still having problems try to give more details so we can have a better idea of what is going on.

chris in va

First off are you sizing the bullets after casting?

No. As-cast. Worked fine in my Glock and Sig, but we all know how tight CZ chambers are.

Also are the rounds almost chambering but slowing down about an 1/8th of an inch out?

Yup, getting hung up the last 1/8" before fully chambered.

I ran all 300 down to 1.17oal and the FCD set on a medium taper crimp. Slowly feeding the rounds out of the mag, they now chamber a lot better with very little resistance. Slingshotting rapidly they all chamber and fly out as normal.

I'll try again tomorrow. If this doesn't work, time for a different mold. Wasn't too impressed with this one anyway as it doesn't follow the standard FMJ profile. The ogive is just too fat.