Cast in .223

armoredman

Not the greatest beginning by any means; well, the picture wouldn't load, don't have all the time to resize it, so picture a steel target in your minds with bullet impact marks with 4 a few inches wide and one flyer about 5 inches down. Lee 55gr cast powder coated at 80 yards from a kneeling braced position, CZ-805 carbine, first load with 18.0gr of H-335/
I'm sure people here can do far better but this is my first effort. First load had a ton of blow by, second was much better. Bore is lead free. :) Love powder coating.
Anyone here laod cast for .223? Yes, I am on castboolits.gunloads.com. :cool:

salvadore

I started loading cast .223 again. Tried Lee's mold, but gc was hard to seat and cs got all snotty when I called. Ended up with the RCBS. 2400 gave me poor accuracy, but 1680 shows promise. Need more range time, but looks like I may get 1"-2" five shot groups @ 100yds. I believe I am getting 2100-2300fps have to break out the chronograph to make sure. Bullet is mostly linotype over 15grs of powder. No pc...cz527

armoredman

Damn good CZoice of rifle, sir. I was really surprised that this oddball bullet fed without difficulty. I have heard at castboolits.gunloads.com that several people use this slug without gas checks, and when I fired the five with, I experienced no visual leading. Of course, a VERY small sample group, all donated bullets for me to try, from a very gracious member at CB.
Was that Accurate Arms 1680? I use that in 7.62x39mm, tried it in .223 and it was too fast burning for a gas gun, very poor results. :(

salvadore

Yes accurate, I used 4227 back when I was using a Ruger #1..very accurate. I understand that pc bullets can end up with uneven application. Is that a consideration?

Chainsaw.

Thanks for you thoughts on casting for 223. Ive been kicking the idea around for a good while, I think you've helped he get a bit closer. :cool: