cast bullets in .25-06 Interarms rifle

sigshepardo

I reload .25-06 Rem. for my Interarms rifle. I have found some .257'' 85 gr. cast bullets, 20-1 alloy. Can I load this for my .25-06?

Scorch

I wouldn't. Those are likely designed for 25-20 velocities and would lead the barrel of your 25-06.

David Wile

Hey sigshepardo,

I used to cast .25 caliber bullets for my dad's .257 Roberts. The bullets were hard cast with gas checks and were a Guy Loverin design which were known for their short nose, long full diameter body, and many small grooves for grease. I believe the weight was supposed to be 89 grains. Whatever weight they were, they shot very well in my dad's rifle.

If you would be interested in such a bullet, I will check to see if I still have the mould. I will also look to see if I have any of these bullets already cast. If I do have some, I would be glad to send you a sampe to try.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

David Wile

Hey sigshepardo,

I thought I might also mention my dad's .257 Roberts rifle was built on an Interarms brand Mark-X action with a Douglas premium 26" heavy target barrel. Without checking my notes, I cannot tell you what loading he used, but I can tell you his gas checked bullets exceeded 2,000 fps.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

chiefr

Concur with Scorch. Personally, I would never shoot cast bullets out of a 25-06 due to the large case and small bore.
However, the Lyman cast bullet handbook would be a great source of info if I had to.