Cast bullets for 45 ACP

Field-dressed

I'm going to order up a mold and top punch to start casting for my Kimber. I had decided on a Lee 6-cavity mold, but I can't figure out which top punch to get for my RCBS lube-a-matic. The bullet mold is Lee 452-230-TC. Anyone have a cross-brand reference chart for bullets and top punches? I guess since Lee's sizer/luber doesn't require top punches, they don't bother to make them.

Keith J

I have no idea on the top punch cross-reference. You could try to modify a top punch, filling the low spots with JB Weld (filled epoxy). Spray the top of a bullet with dry moly and just a little dab of JB weld will fill the lows perfectly. Let it harden, remove the bullet and go to town.

BTW, some of the Lee's will do fine with no sizing, just lube with their Liquid Alox or use the cookie cutter method. Place the bullets base down on a cookie sheet and pour melted lube to a depth that fills the grooves. Using a suitable cutter made from a cut down 30.06 case, heavily outside reamed, cut the bullets from the hardened lube.

Remelt or add warm bullets once the lubed ones have been removed.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
I am not sure about Lee mold but the Lyman 452374 Mold is a 230 grain round nose mold for the .45ACP (among others)that emulates the design of the "USGI" 230 grain "hardball", and the correct top punch for that mold is the Lyman 374 "G" top punch. If you could find that one I think it will work just fine in the RCBS bullet lube/sizer as the RCBS will take Lyman "G-H&I" dies as the Lyman 450 Sizer will accept the RCBS dies and top punch. Oh by the way that Lyman 452374 bullet works just fine in my Colt 1911.

PDshooter

Just call the people at RCBS. And tell them what you need. I cast, my mold is a H&G-68 6 cavity. Also have is a RCBS Lub-o-Matic II. The top punch just has tobe close! I use wheel weight. I've got the cost down to around $1.50 a box of #50 Bullet wt 208gr Load is W-231 5.5 gr

Field-dressed

Thanks for the info. I've got a top punch on order that oughtta cover it one way or the other. That JB Weld trick is a good one to file away.