Cast bullet recommendation

Jason280

I need a good .44 cal cast bullet for hunting/target shooting, preferably 240-250gr. Who offers the most consistent bullet? I plan on loading it to about 12-1300 fps, and I will be shooting it out of a 629. Thanks!

sleeping dog

http://www.proshootpro.com/ (leadhead) has some unchecked bullets in that weight range, or some gas-checked bullets a little heavier. They come already sized and lubed.

I don't know how they compare with others. Their 6.5mm rifle bullet shoots good.

Regards.

sjc1

One of the best cast bullets for the .44 caliber is the 240 grain design by Elmer Keith. Lyman makes a mold for this bullet, #429421. If you do not cast bullets I would try to find someone that casts this design bullet.

LAH

Since you asked try ours. www.sixgunner.com/creeker/Default.htm
We hand cast the Lyman 429421 from air cooled 92-6-2 alloy. They test 18 BHN and work very well at the velocity you mention. I've had these tested by the best including Brian Pearce and John Taffin. I also do limited runs of these cast from 1-20.

Last edited:

WESHOOT2

YEAH, WHAT HE SAID

There are a few places for best: Beartooth Bullets, Cast Performance, Dry Creek (absolutely BEAUTIFUL Keith-style bullets), and Penn Bullets.

Frankly, this is my commercial lead-bullet go-to list. That's it.

Edward429451

I've been casting Lymans 429421 In wheelweights for years. Dont know the formula or hardness but what I've been doing is to melt 20 lbs of WW and add a 1 lb roll of 50/50 solder from the plumbing supply house. This has been doing great for me. Little to no leading at any speed.

Can anybody venture a reasonable guess to what hardness range these probably are? Them Keith bullets are great.

LAH

I didn't notice braindead0's post so I should have kept quite. Sorry.

Last edited:

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Been shooting that Lyman #429421 bullet off 'n on for 30 years, or so .... wonderful bullet for casters.

If you're not casting it yourself, you are missing out - if nothing else just to have the opportunity to have your own standby when/if your real suply goes short .... I'd get the mould & give it a try ....