Caspian vs Sti

Amin Parker

Hi all,

To build my dream pistola i will have to invest in one of the above brands. I am specifically referring to slides and frames. My main questions centre around build quality amd durability.

Any opinions will be appreciated. I am off to the shop tomorrow.

While the licence is pending, i will build my dream gun. I will unfortunately not be able to collect it but i can visit the gun shop amd tinker as i please.

Build quality?

Your post suggests that you are building it. Regardless of whose frame and slide you pick, the build quality is going to depend on you.

Amin Parker

Blanca i am referring to the brands in question. The build quality does depend on me i agree to a certain extent only.

I would like to know which components are best. I will invest lots of money in this project and dont want to choose one and realise later that i should have chosen the other.

Opinions over here are divided amongst the shooters.

Build quality can mean more than just the hand of the gunsmith. It also refers to the quality of parts used. I will merely be assembling and fitting parts in the end. I want to hear opinions so i can be convinced that the brand i choose will serve me well through thousands of rounds and years of trouble free use.

CastleBravo

There probably isn't a real answer to this question, because carbon steel 1911 frames fail so rarely that it's basically like being run over by a unicorn.

FWIW I own a gun built on a Caspian frame and slide and it's excellent. Caspian's track record for durability is pretty amazing and they give you more cosmetic options than anybody else. It's hard to go wrong with any of the major suppliers though.

Amin Parker

Ok, after what i have seen today, i am going Caspian.

They offer a lifetime guarantee on their product and i find that impressive and reassuring.

I have built three 1911s using Caspian components. I have only shot a couple of completed STI pistols, and those were the "2011" steel/polymer double stack hybrid style. Functional, but ugly as a red-headed stepchild.

I don't think you'll regret buying Caspian. Some of the best pistolsmiths in the US use their parts.