Cash and Carry ????

paratrooper

Went to a swap meet in Kingman AZ a few months ago . Saw a gun for sale among about a jillion other saleable items . I asked about any special stuff I had to do to buy the gun and the old boy said "Well , you gotta pay for it." Now am I to understand that this is the law in AZ or was there more to it ?I remember it was this way 35 years ago in AK but in CA now you gotta jump through some serious hoops to get a gun .BTW I have property in AZ but have CA ID .

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Let's not give the wrong impression here, folks. There are laws in almost every state that must be followed pertaining to firearms transfers. Even for private sales.

In Arizona, the seller must confirm many things about the buyer.

From: http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/arizona.asp#bradylaw

Arizona has adopted other classes of prohibited persons, and incorporated some of the federal prohibitions as state offenses. Under Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 13-3101(A)(6), Arizona prohibits possession of a firearm by any person who:

Has been found to constitute a danger to himself or herself or others pursuant to court order under Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 36-540, and whose court ordered treatment has not been terminated by court order;

Has been convicted within or outside of Arizona of a felony or who has been adjudicated delinquent and whose civil right to possess or carry a gun or firearm has not been restored;

Is at the time of possession serving a term of imprisonment in any correctional or detention facility; or

Is at the time of possession serving a term of probation pursuant to a conviction for a domestic violence offense as defined in section 13-3601 or a felony offense, parole, community supervision, work furlough, home arrest or release on any other basis or who is serving a term of probation or parole pursuant to the interstate compact under Ariz. Rev. Stat. Title 31, Chapter 3, Article 4.

In addition, any person who was previously adjudicated delinquent and who possesses, uses or carries a firearm within ten years from the date of his or her adjudication or release or escape from custody is criminally liable for a class 5 felony for a first offense and a class 4 felony for a second or subsequent offense if the person was previously adjudicated for an offense that, if committed as an adult, would constitute:

Burglary in the first degree;

Burglary in the second degree;

Arson;

Any felony offense involving the use or threatening exhibition of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument; or

A serious offense as defined in section 13-604.

A seller who fails to ask about these things is just asking for trouble, IMO. There are usually very serious penalties for supplying a firearm to someone who is ineligible to posess one.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I usually only sell amongst folks I know, but on the rare occasions I've sold a personal gun at a gun show, I just ask to see their driver's license.

I don't want to hold it; I don't want to scrutinize it; I don't even want to read it; I just want them to hold up an ID that shows they're not a minor and has a photo that looks vaguely like them on it.

If someone's too squirrely to hold up a driver's license five feet from my face, I'd rather not sell them my gun.

BlltProof

maybe i wasnt totally clear. sorry.. u have to show drivers license here for private sales.TO prove your age.And i agree with ya tamara. They have a problem showing thier license.Then something it up.But could be a fake license at the same time?

BP

7.62FMJ

And how, exactly, am I supposed to comply with that list of things?

I already withold payroll taxes for the Gov. on behalf of my employees. They don't hve the stones to ask the citizen to pay their own taxes.

Am I now supposed to run a criminal background check for a private transaction involving an inanimate object?

Last edited:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
7.62fmj,

Well, sometimes (as with so many other things in life) you gotta trust your gut and make a good faith estimate. Does he act squirrelly if you ask to see his license? Is he underage-looking? Does he chuckle nervously when you joke about the string of convenience-store stickups you hope he hasn't committed?

MeekAndMild

If someone's too squirrely to hold up a driver's license five feet from my face, I'd rather not sell them my gun.
Gee Tam, the last time (early 80s) I lived in the Peoples Republic of Tennessee they made you get fingerprinted to buy a pistol.

7.62FMJ

Well, sometimes (as with so many other things in life) you gotta trust your gut and make a good faith estimate. Does he act squirrelly if you ask to see his license? Is he underage-looking? Does he chuckle nervously when you joke about the string of convenience-store stickups you hope he hasn't committed?

I have no truck with your methods. I subscribe to them as well. I have a problem with what TheBluesMan posted. If AZ has such a law, then it is probably endemic :barf:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
MeekAndMild,

Gee Tam, the last time (early 80s) I lived in the Peoples Republic of Tennessee...

Would that be the no-income-tax, shall-issue, no-waiting-period "People's Republic"? ;) :p

...they made you get fingerprinted to buy a pistol.

That would be "thumbprinted", and it applies to long guns and handguns, but only if you're buying the gun from an FFL. What good this does is left to the reader's imagination, as the thumbprints get stapled to the 4473 and stuck in a filing cabinet at the dealer's. If they've already traced your crime spree gun to the dealer you bought it from, them having your thumbprints is the least of your worries.

Unconstitutional? Yes, but way, way down on my list of worries... :rolleyes: