Cases seperating-why?

arizona hunter

I have noticed that my mod. 96 Mauser 6.5 x 55 Swede cases only last about 3 reloads. I am only loading 44 gr. of IMR 4350 (2700 fps) using a 120 gr. Core Lokt.

The cases are seperating down near the base. Do I have the resizing die adjusted wrong? What to do?

30Cal

Either long headspace or you're setting the shoulder back too far when you reload. Did you use a case headspace gage when you set the sizing die? The manufacturer instructions are just barely better than making a wild guess.

Ty

brickeyee

It sounds like you are setting back the shoulder each time you reload the cases. The headspace may be at the high end of normal, or even slightly to long. If the headspace is OK you need to back the sizing die out until it is barely touching the shoulder. The rounds will fit the particluar gun but may not fit another.
I keep shells segregated for older weapons for just this reason. It is a pain sometimes, but for brass that is hard to find worth the trouble.

Wildalaska

What type of rifle and what type of cases?

If its a 96 military mauser you will find that the chamber is very oversized. If you are using Rem or Win Brass, the cases are undersized to begin with, combine that with an improperly adjusted sizing die and......

I neck size for my M41B swede, but FL size for four others. I am on 16 loadings on the FL sized brass (the first 8 were neck sized)....

WildswedeAlaska

arizona hunter

Thanks guys

Thanks 30CAL & Brickeyee, I will not set the shoulder back so far.

And Wildalaska, it is indeed a 96 Husqvarna 1942 Mauser, and i am using Win. cases!

Thanks for the help guys.

Glenn :)

mete

You should be sizing to your chamber not the SAAMI specs or anything else .Don't set the shoulder back any more than necessary for your gun.

buford1

Just neck size only leave the shoulder alone. These rounds will only chamber in your rifle. But you will elimate the constant stretching you get when you resize. I do this with all my rifle rounds. Definatly extended the life of my Weatherby brass. Might want to check the head space in the rifle.

Zekewolf

It's common for old military bolt rifles to have bad headspacing. Good advice given here about neck sizing. Might not be a bad idea to have a gunsmith check the headspacing, unless you have the "Go"-"No-Go" equipment.

Wildalaska

Virtually every swedish mauser will either close, or is close to closing on a No Go..

Swedish Military chambers are larger

WildjaAlaska

brickeyee

The excessive head space is not a problem in and of itself, as long as you make allowances when reloading. Move the die out to neck size only. Every once in a while you may need to bump the should back a few thousandths if chambering becomes difficult.

Zekewolf

Isn't the excessive headspace easily remedied by a competent smith, or, if so, is it just not worth the expense?

brickeyee

The fix for excessive headspace is often to set the barrel back and re-chamber. This is not typically a good option on an older military rifle. It ruins any historical value, and is simply not required.
Unless the excess headspace has been caused by over pressure loads deforming the bolt locking lugs (really not that common) it is easier to simple neck size cases reserved for the individual rifle.
Most of the excess headspace firearms are the result of poor QA under wartime conditions, and even sometimes an attempt to ensure that even poorly manufactured ammunition (or even just dirty ammunition) would chamber and fire. The military is not concerned with reloading brass, so as long as everything is safe on firing of new cartridges they are satisfied. I have had a couple rifles that closed on a no-go gauge. Shimming showed they were only about 0.006 or so out of spec. Safe enough with careful loading and forming of brass for that weapon.

Wildalaska

Lets make a clear point here..Swede mausers are not "out of headspace" even if they close on a no go...they a re within mil spec for the cartridge.

Swedish gauges are different

WildtinylittledifferencesAlaska

UltimaThule

The 6.5x55 has changed a bit over time. The original specs as agreed on in 1893 were identical in both Sweden and Norway, but if I understand it correctly, both Swedish and Norwegian ammo has "grown" in size over the years, with Norwegian Krag ammo growing the most. In order to add to... I mean put and end to the confusion, new specs were agreed on around 1990, somewhere in between the de facto dimensions then used in Norway and Sweden respectively.

The new specification is called 6.5x55 SKAN (those who live here spell Skandinavia with a K). The chambers of new target barrels are cut to this specification. I'm not sure about all the various manufacturers of hunting rifles.

As WA said, American ammo is undersized compared to Scandinavian dimensions, I believe they use the same (smaller) case head as for .30-06 brass, which obviously is cheaper and apparantly "close enough".

Personally, I have never heard of any brand of factory ammo, regardless of age, failing to work in any rifle. The differences are very small, although it can obviously influence on case life.

I did go in the basement and check the only factory ammo I have around (Raufoss), one case of full power match ammo and one of reduced loads for old Norwegian Krags. Both are loaded with SKAN spec brass. As far as I know, so is all other current Scandinavian 6.5x55 ammo, meaning all new Norma and Lapua brass is 6.5x55 SKAN - not "Swede".

FWIW, this means that I reload my 6.5x55 using SKAN spec brass and "Swedish Mauser" dies (Lee) and shoot the ammo in a Norwegian-made (pre SKAN) match barrel mounted in a German-made Mauser k98 action.

UltimaworksformeThule

Wildalaska

I might add that I full length size my Lapua brass in Hornady dies which are marked 6.5 scan

Wildgoinfor20reloadsAlaska

Foxman

I too load using Lapua brass and the hornady dies and have had no trouble at all, the rifle is a Tikka T3 and I neck size for about 4-5 loads the re FL size setting back the shoulder just less than .002". The other thing not mentioned here is that a rifle of that age is not recommended for hot loads as I remember, most powder manufacturers caution on this and 2700 with 120gr is not really getting to the hot side, but maybe with the win cases. If you can get Lapua or Norma cases I would try them and the Hornady dies, it may well completely cure your problem.
Good Luck