Case Setback with Tapered Cartridges

SIGSHR

Curious to know if any of the CAS shooters here have experienced case setback with tapered/bottle nosed cartridges-38-40, 44-40, etc.?

not with 44-40 either...

but think one of the guys that shoots at the club I shoot at had some set back issues with 38-40 in a custom Ruger...

but I don't really know him well, so I'm not positive on the loads or other specifics

Shotgun693

A bit of history:
When the .44-40 first came out it worked fine in Winchesters but would set back and lock up a Colt SAA. The Texas Rangers learned to hate the .44-40 in a handgun. They, to a man, went with the .45 Colt for their revolvers. They did continue use of the .44-40 in rifles.

B.L.E.

My Ruger Vaquero six shooter in .44-40 has never had problems with locking up from setback, but then again, I'm not one of those people who just has to turn a .44-40 into a .44 Magnum.

Hawg

A bit of history:
When the .44-40 first came out it worked fine in Winchesters but would set back and lock up a Colt SAA. The Texas Rangers learned to hate the .44-40 in a handgun. They, to a man, went with the .45 Colt for their revolvers. They did continue use of the .44-40 in rifles.

I don't have a Colt but I have a Uberti SAA, never had a problem with a case full of bp or smokeless loads either one.

Model-P

I don't know what "case setback" is, but from the discussion I gather it is a tendency of a shouldered cartridge to fill the shoulder in the chamber upon firing and push the base back against the recoil shield? Please educate me.

If so, I wonder if this is why the old Colt SAA cylinders were notorious for having the shoulders cut so far forward that case life was short due to the subsequent amount of necessary case resizing. Perhaps having space ahead of the case shoulder prevents "case setback"?

B.L.E.

I gather it is a tendency of a shouldered cartridge to fill the shoulder in the chamber upon firing and push the base back against the recoil shield? Please educate me.

That's exactly what case setback is. The .22 Remington Jet which was a tapered case that Smith & Wesson made a revolver for was notorious for having this problem. Making sure the cases had all the resizing lube cleaned off of them after reloading minimized the problem.

Shotgun693

A 'Colt' guy told me that the original .44-40 ammo had to much shoulder. I only know that Texas Rangers nearly to a man avoided the .44-40 Colt.