case lube and progressive presses

colima

I have been loading for .45 for about three years and about 20K rounds. I use a Dillon Square Deal B and have had few problems (once I figured out how to tune the primer mechanism).

I don't use any lube for .45 since it doesn't seem to be needed with the carbide sizer die.

I recently acquired a Ruger .45 Colt Bisley Blackhawk, and have started to load for it. At least on the Square Deal, things work much better with the larger cases if I use a lube.

The question is should I clean it off afterwards?

If so, how?

Does it do any harm to shoot the rounds without cleaning?

Would I be better off cleaning after sizing and make two runs through the press?

JAF

Bogie

Well, I prefer Hornady One-Shot.

And I size/decap and then clean before I would use a progressive to dump powder and seat...

you've got to get it off somehow--occasionally i load some 30-30's that i run through a progressive and then tumble the rounds in a vibrator tumber for 10 min and they're clean....the only time i single stage size pistol rounds is in the case of something like a 9mm,38 super or 40 that i size using a cut down shell holder so i can get more of the casing into the sizer and therefore get rid of the bulge at the bottom of the casing.....Dick

Ben Shepherd

I use the Hornady 1-shot exclusively. It requires no clean up.

Just make sure that after you apply it sparingly that you give it time to dry before you start loading.

MADISON

This is going to sound stupid but, if you have to use case lube it should not be loaded on a progressive press. It will be hell getting a STUCK CASE OFF A PROGRESSIVE!
The only alternate is the RCBS Case Lube Die.

i remember when the lube die came out--i had just got my piggyback on my rochchucker and thought it would be the answer to all my prayers-----as my daughter would say "NooooooooooooooT" i figure the designer of the lube die gets a commission for every stuck case remover they sell--i never had so many stuck cases in all my life----it is now in a green box with goooo ozing out of it........Dick

I have been told by shooters that I think know what they are talking about---Always degrease your cases before shooting--The case upon firing has to grip the chamber wall momentarilly and if greased will not--putting excess pressure on the bolt head in recoil position--:confused:

Frank Iacono

If you are using a progressive reloader, it makes sense to lube/size and tumble as a separate step. It does cut down on rounds produced per hour, but running a lubed case through a progressive really makes a mess. The powder residue sticks to the case walls and there's always the chance of primer contamination. As stated previously, the lube should(must) be removed prior to firing the reload. Once the case is sized and the lube removed (by tumbling), each cycle of the progressive's handle will produce a quality, ready to shoot round. I use an RCBS single stage press for the sizing, Dillion tumbler, and Dillion 550B or Dillion Square Deal depending on caliber.