Case length on 45acp

L. Boscoe

Just been back in shooting after many years. I load with a Dillon 550.
The subject of case length on my 45's never came up years ago, and I don't see that topic today.
Is there a real need to trim cases?, as long as it goes in the case gage, doesn't
that take care of any concerns?

nhyrum

Most straight wall pistol cartridges that headspace off the case mouth actually shorten over time. The extractor groove basically gets compacted over time. No need to trim

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Beat me to it while I was editing.

It's a relatively low pressure round, typically running below 20,000 psi. That's too low for the brass to stick in the chamber, so the whole 45 Auto case backs up against the breech under firing pressure, where the taper of the chamber makes it wider, then expands to fit the wider space, shortening the case. Upon resizing, a tiny bit of the brass flows back, so the case can't 100% recover the length it had before firing. In other words, as Nhyrum said, they actually shorten with use.

I once tracked on a bulk lot of Winchester brass I bought new through 50 reloadings of light match loads. About 2/3 had been lost or split by the end, but every one of the remaining cases was about 0.025" shorter than it had been originally. So they were losing an average of about half a thousandth at each reloading cycle. That is too short to headspace on the case mouth (the rim is stopped by the extractor on a 1911 before the case mouth can reach the end of a chamber when the brass is that short), so I loaded the bullets out to stop on the throat as the headspace determinate (see image below, third image from left). This proved to improve accuracy and reduce leading, and the cast bullets were soft enough and the loads light enough that it didn't raise any pressure issues. I did have to adjust my taper crimp die down as the cases grew shorter, though.

attachment.php

cdoc42

Unclenick, can you describe your procedure for headspacing on the throat? How does that differ from the bullet engaging the rifling?

44 AMP

Staff
I've never had to trim a .45acp case, its very rare to find one that reaches max length. All my .45s seem to work just fine with cases that "have grown short" and if they're headspacing on the extractor, they still work.

In the one DA revolver where I use .45acp brass, I use half moon clips, and in my Ruger Blackhawk, I've never had anything too short to fire. so its not an issue I'm concerned with.

Jim Watson

Once upon a time, I found some Hornady .45 ACP brass that was too long for my chamber. It was range pickup, not originally fired by me. That was the only .45 brass I ever saw that was even close to nominal length, and it was a bit over.

MSD Mike

With my convertible Blackhawk cases can get to short and cause a light primer strike. 1911’s tend to get by because the case will headspace on the extractor and still fire. I measure cases for my Blackhawk and toss out the short guys.

Nick_C_S

I have 45 ACP brass from the mid-1980's and has been reloaded countless times. I've never measured them. They seem to function just fine.

Perhaps I'm living a charmed life.

My old brass usually just gets a modest load of W231 with a 200gn LSWC atop. That might be my saving grace.

RC20

I can testify to the fact that really short 45 brass does not need to head space.

Like in Glock 45 GAP. No, I had never heard of 45 GAP, and yes I bought some (fired in a STAR PD.

No it would not cycle but yes it would fire.

CDoc42,

I use the barrel as a gauge. If you look closely at the image, all the case heads are different levels from the top edge of the barrel extension. I simply adust the bullet seating depth until a round dropped into the chamber stops with its case level with the part of the barrel that kisses the breech face. In this case, it's a 1911 barrel, so the barrel extension is what does that. The only limitation is that your bullet has to feed. With some guns, some bullet shapes don't like the feed ramp when they are loaded that long, so you have to try them out. A round nose will almost always feed if you have trouble with others.