"Case-Gard" reloading trays and metal ammo cans.

ScottRiqui

Just discovered that the Case-Gard reloading trays:

Fit perfectly inside the metal G.I. ammo cans that 9 mm and 5.56 mm rounds come in. The MTM website doesn't mention it, but the fit is too close for me to believe it's a coincidence.

Of course, I don't know how useful this fact is, but I thought I'd mention it. If nothing else, I've started storing my empty trays inside an empty can to save space in-between reloading sessions.

frumious

Neat observation. I have a bunch of white cardboard boxes I bought from MidwayUSA and they fit down inside a 30mm ammo can really well too.

I have to say, though...those reloading blocks with the staggered rows are not for me. I bought an RCBS universal loading block and eventually stopped using it and bought some more traditional Frankford Arsenal blocks. I like the FA ones a lot more just because the rows and columns all line up :cool:

-cls

ScottRiqui

The staggered rows don't bother me too much, because the rows **of a particular size** aren't staggered. So if I'm only using the small holes, they form a nice non-staggered 5 X 10 array. Likewise, the large holes form a non-staggered 5 X 10 array. And the two sizes are different enough that I don't accidentally put rounds in the wrong ones.

ScottRiqui

Well, they're not without their potential problems. Since you're only using half of the holes at any given time, it's easy to "short" a row by only putting four cases in it rather than five, and it doesn't jump out at you because there are so many other empty holes in the tray. More than once, I've "finished up" a tray, only to find that there are only 49 cases in it.

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

Those MTM load trays are all I use, any more. I needed something that kept .32 S&W cases from disappearing in the load block, and gave an MTM tray a shot.

The stubby little holes on the reverse side were just the ticket - tall enough to prevent spillage if I fumble a case, but short enough to let me grab them.

The main side provides great support for rifle cartridges and many handgun cartridges. So...

The first tray made friends. Then I discovered that they stack really nicely and solidly with brass in them. (It takes a little finesse, but isn't difficult with most cartridges.)

I was hooked. ;)

Speaking of which - I have been wanting a couple more...

Lost Sheep

At $7 each (my local retail price), it seems to me an expensive way to store ammo, but you got me thinking.

A block of wood with holes drilled in it could hold 100 rounds, and precisely fit to the ammo cans.

The factory ammo inserts are easy enough to come by in the trash bins at the range that I never thought of the need for a more convenient storage container, but this seems better than sandwich bags by a long shot and more convenient than the much tighter-fit retail boxes. After a range session, they are ready to wipe down and take to the press.

Lost Sheep