Cartridge OAL Problem

highvel

I have an issue with .204 caliber 40 gr. Nosler Bullet seating.
With the die and seater plug tight, the seater doesnt touch the tip but rests on the ogive, I get an OAL difference from 2.245" to 2.260".
With .015" range how do I know exactly where my bullet is located?
Also, I wont buy Noslers anymore if thats as close as they get to uniformaty!:mad:

SL1

Are you measuring the cartirdges to the bullet tips?

If so, then it may not really be a problem. The seater is seating based on the ogive, and the riflling also contacts the ogive near the full diameter part of the bullet. So, that is the place that the measurements need to be consistent.

The plastic tips on bullets these days are very uniform compared to the old exposed lead noses. But, they may not be seated exactly uniformly in the nose cavities of the new bullets. So, measuring the COL to the bullet's tip still isn't a great way to figure the distance off the rifling when a round is chambered.

Nosler bullets have a good reputation, and the ones that I use seem to have consistent ogives. I just need to make a measurement to the ogive when I am working on seating depth issues.

SL1

wingman

I tried one box of Nosler 224, 52gr "competition", there was large variations in length I sorted three groups, I only bought (1) 100 box to try and will not use any more intend to to stick with Sierra match which I find more consistent.

wingman

Wingman,

But, how did they SHOOT?

SL1

Had a feeling I would be ask that,;) not as well as the Match King, I contacted Nosler and they stated while the length is varied they believed my results would be good, of course I understand measurement from ogive however if variations in length there can also be a variation in ogive.
I want to do some additional measurements on the Noslers when I have time however at this stage for my rifle they don't measure up.

The following is an excellent article on this subject.

http://www.larrywillis.com/bullet-shape.html

highvel

Yes, I was measuring to the tips but .015" seems a mile to me considering the length of the bullet. I would expect .001-.002 maybe!

hazfam2

I've loaded the Nosler 40gr polymer tip with lee dies and stay right at 2.250 o.a.l.I shoot them in my H&R Ultra. At 2.250 o.a.l the bullet is still .200 from engaging the rifling.H&R rep. says this is nomal.

The Tourist

First, for safety reasons I'd find out just how close the ogive is to the rifling. In the old days we used to load a bullet out quite far, smear it with a magic marker, and see if it touched. Yeah, yeah, I know. Primitive. There is better equipment now.

If you know you're safe, get out a caliper or some other device, and sort the loaded cartridges into two or three groups based on measurements to see if this even makes a difference in your rifle. Benchrest guys sort their brass into groups, it may help.

However, if all of your sorted groups punch paper at the same point at various differences, then do what I do.

Forget about it.