Cartridge Comparative Photos?

Waterengineer

Can someone please direct me to a photo(s) of cartridges showing there comparative sizes?

Something to scale would be great.

I have done a couple of google searches and cannot really find what I want. Thanks.

Creature

Would something like these work?

ammunition_a.jpg

300px-10.jpg

Waterengineer

You are on the right track

Creature:

Those photos are on the right track. But, I need them by measured (or scalable) length and caliber.

Thanks for the effort.

nate45

Which ones would you like to see compared? If I have them I'll take a pic.

I've got all of these and some more, but I can take a pic with half a dozen or so of whatever you want to see side by side, if I've got them.

100_0601.jpg

nate45

Hows this?

100_0644.jpg

.22 LR, .25 ACP, .32 ACP, .380 ACP, 9 MM Para, .40 S&W and a .45 ACP, with a dime and a .44 Magnum for comparasion.

Tom2

Good photo, Nate, now you need to get some graph paper with inch or perhaps MM graduations on it, for the background! I am not 100% but I think that is what he is looking for? Why, I don't know. Maybe a science fair project. :confused:

nate45

I don't have any graph paper. Here are some revolver rounds.

100_0646.jpg

.22 LR, .32 S&W Long, .32-20 Win, .38 S&W, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt and .454 Casull. With a 2 3/4 in Shotgun shell a .223 Rem and a dime for comparison.

dresden8

Hi

Hi-jacking thread a little. Don't know much about hand-guns but it seems odd to me that some of those rounds have a flat tip.

Is there any reason for this? Btw this is just idle curiosity.

Bud Helms

Actually, in Dex's pic just above, I think they are all hollow points, but truncated cones with a jacketed flat meplat are very hard "hitters" and penetrate well. It is not uncomon to see large caliber handguns loaded with the flat jacketed nose for hunting large game.

LouPran

Hope this helps ...

Rimfire_Family_2.jpg

left to right, .22 Short, .22 Long Rifle, .22 WMR, .17 HM2, .17 HMR

800px-Cartridge_Sample_2.jpg

Left to Right: .17 HM2, .17 HMR, .22LR, .22 WMR, .17 SMc, 5mm/35 SMc, .22 Hornet, .223 Remington, .223 WSSM,
.243 Winchester, .243 Winchester Improved (Ackley), .25-06, .270 Winchester, .308, .30-06, .45-70 Govt, .50-90 Sharps

800px-Comparitive_handgun_rounds.jpg

Side-by-side comparison of many common pistol rounds (notably missing, .50 Action Express, 10mm Automatic and .40 S&W, possibly 9x23mm)
Left to right: 3 in 12 ga magnum shotgun shell (for comparison), size "AA" battery (for comparison), .454 Casull, .45 Winchester Magnum,
.44 Remington Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .45 ACP, .38 Super, 9 mm Luger, .32 ACP, .22 LR

CartridgeComparison.jpg

left to right: .50 Action Express, .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9 mm Luger Parabellum, .22 Long Rifle.

670px-Cartridge_comparison1.jpg

Left to right: .460 S&W Magnum, .454 Casull, .44 Magnum, .45ACP, .22LR

HERE IS A CARTRIDGE SPREADSHEET

nate45

Some .22s

100_0663.jpg

.220 Swift, .22-250, .223 Rem, .22 Hornet, .22 Magnum, .22 LR.

This is fun, I need to start a cartridge collection. I only have ones I've had rifles, pistols and/or reloading dies for.

nate45

Sorry I missed this earlier

Hi-jacking thread a little. Don't know much about hand-guns but it seems odd to me that some of those rounds have a flat tip.

Is there any reason for this? Btw this is just idle curiosity.

The 'flat' tip or meplat does more tissue destruction than a round nose, or so the theory goes. That theory has pretty much proved been proved true over the years by the observation of wound channels.

The Keith Type bullet was the one most favored by handgun hunters in the days prior to deep penetrating, reliably expanging hollow point projectiles and still is by many.

100_0677.jpg

.357 dia. 173 grain KT, .410 dia. 230 grain KT, .429 dia. 250 grain KT, .429 dia 265 grain Keith/Thompson GC(gas check), .452 dia. 265 grain Keith Type. The 230 grain .410 came from a mould once owned by Elmer Keith.

The hard cast bullets with wide meplats and sharp semi wadcutter shoulders, that cut a full caliber hole, do far more tissue destruction on game than other shapes of solid bullets do. Some handgun hunters still use them, because of their deep penetrating ability.

100_0673.jpg

More of a side angle.

mikehaas

I need them by measured (or scalable) length and caliber
At http://ammoguide.com/, you can line 'em up with either a metric or SAE ruler in the background (or even no ruler at all). There's a link to compare the displayed rounds ballistically with a single click. You can save "visual sets" either privately or to share with other AmmoGuide subscribers. Clicking on the cartridge label brings up detailed info for the riound, including case diagram...

CLICK HERE to compare ballistics for the above rounds.

More example graphics (actual onscreen size)...

(Click on this image to go to the AmmoGuide .223 detailed info page)

Mike

Waterengineer

Mike:

Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. It is just too damn bad they do not have the projectile in the casing.

Thanks to everyone else that tried to help. Everyone really put in a ton of effort. As always, TFL community is great.

Also, yes, it was for a daughters science project.

Thanks.