Carrying @ Work

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Does anyone know if it is legal (in NY) to CC at a business that you own on a PROPERTY that you do NOT own if your permit is not CC.:confused:

I can find no specifics in the law to this situation.

B.N.Real

Reads illegal from the outset.

Conceal carry when you do not have a concealed carry permit.

The property issues do not apply.

Bucket of legal trouble waiting for you in that scenario.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Its more complicated than that even... see I live in the same building where my business is located. My understanding is that CC is completely unregulated in your own home, correct? So if I go down a set of stairs am I no longer "home"? What about just keeping the gun under the counter? Isn't that still concealed?:confused:

Prolanman

I would suspect that once you leave the living quarters of your property and enter the business part of the building you would no longer be considered at home.

If you really want to carry in your business then you should partition the local authorities to have your restriction lifted or have your permit changed to a business permit. Until then, you're better off keeping a shotgun in the business and leave the handgun in your "home".

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I suspect you may both be correct, I was just wondering if anyone knew the technicalities of the issue. Currently, I am in the acquiring of ANY permit stage so hopefully it will be issued as unrestricted and a mute point.

jackmcmanus21

there are so many hairs to split on most of the CC issues...you could always just ask a local authority to get a definitive answer