Carrying saddle- & western guns, anyone?

simonrichter

As a non-American I still somewhat cling to the cliché of hand-gunning in the States as a matter of a six-gun rigged in a saddle holster or a Western-style hip holster...

So, do some of you - lucky folk, at least gun-wise spoken - still carry that way? And if yes, is the revolver still predominant in this niche?

PawPaw

Some do, many don't. American holster design is as diverse as the population. The western style holster is still popular in some circles, and I myself carry an updated western rig when I'm carrying my big revolvers. I say updated, because it's made of modern materials, but the design closely approximates something that could have been carried a hundred-fifty years ago.

Hunter Customs

I spend a good deal of time horseback, and it would be a very rare occasion that I would not have a gun with me.

On my saddle the off billet of the flank cinch has a holster attached to it that I use to carry a 3 inch barrel S&W model 36 in.
The holster is not really an old west holster but it's similar.

I can shoot the little Smith pretty darn well even from the hip.
The little Smith is stoked with 125 gr +P hollow points, I feel the 125's will handle anything I run afoul of in our part of the country.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

ligonierbill

Sometimes. Out in the boonies, I may carry a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt in an El Paso Saddlery western rig. The wide belt is comfortable and goes over most anything I'm wearing. However, I'm more likely to be carrying a nice Austrian pistol in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB.

simonrichter

...although it is not what my childhood imagination of the Westerner would typically bear, I always appreciate people carrying "nice Austrian" guns! :D

Doyle

The western quickdraw holster is more of a production of the movies than real life. Most of the holsters actually used in the "old west" were plain flap-type holsters (many military surplus from the thousands brought home after the War of Northern Aggression).

Bob Wright

I cannot remember ever seeing a "saddle holster" that was actually attached to the saddle. Dismount, and where's your gun?

The old photos show guns worn on cartridge belts, and rather high, for a reason, low slung holsters weren't practical for wear while in the saddle.

Bob Wright

I often carry a custom snubbie single action Ruger 45 Colt... but it rides almost always in a high ride / canted modern revolver "type" holster... it conceals well, & still has "cowboy" feel...

I do cowboy action shooting, & have a couple double holster rigs, but have never worn one "out in public" MN encourages "concealed" carry, though it is not the law... closest I've come, to open carry, is open on my belt with a tucked in shirt, & a western vest loosely covering the gun...

I also have several really nicely tooled vintage Heiser holsters, to fit a couple of my vintage revolvers... I've been known to wear those to a few BBQ parties, in controlled environments

Doyle

I cannot remember ever seeing a "saddle holster" that was actually attached to the saddle. Dismount, and where's your gun?

He may have been thinking about a rifle scabbard.

Wyoredman

Howdy from Wyoming!

Many a cowboy still rides with a Single Action revolver carried in a leather holster slung on a gun belt. Plenty also still carry a lever action in a scabbard slung under the stirrup leathers.

Horseback hunters even carry scoped hunting rifle on their saddles! And they are pretty quick to the draw with them as well!

As for the side arms carried most often by me, I like Single Action Rugers and Double Action Smiths when I am riding!

Hunter Customs

For me it's as simple as taking the little Smith from my saddle holster and tucking it in the waist band of my Levi's if I'm going to dismount.

I wear chaps when riding and on my chaps is a belt knife that's always attached to them, so I'm never totally defenseless.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Deja vu

I use to have a rifle scabbard for my 357 magnum lever action attached to my dirt bike back when I was a teenager. Id wear a single action Ruger in a shoulder rig as well while hunting.

Most of the time now days I carry inside my right pocket or occasionally a shoulder holster. I really dont like to carry on the hip.

simonrichter

Howdy from Wyoming!

Many a cowboy still rides with a Single Action revolver carried in a leather holster slung on a gun belt. Plenty also still carry a lever action in a scabbard slung under the stirrup leathers.

Horseback hunters even carry scoped hunting rifle on their saddles! And they are pretty quick to the draw with them as well!

As for the side arms carried most often by me, I like Single Action Rugers and Double Action Smiths when I am riding!

cool. But that brings me to another question: Is it, generally spoken (I know it differs from State to State) allowed to carry visibly while somewhere uninhabited? (If I'm under the right impression you may NOT carry a sidearm in, say, an open hip holster within city limits, in the public etc.; in that case only concealed.)

Colt46

I've seen an odd one

A ranch owner who carries a .357 blackhawk in his chaps. He had a holster either added onto or incorporated in the design. Seemed awkward to me. But both chaps and holster seemed well worn.

dahermit

It always struck me as illogical. Just when you need a gun, "Old Paint" is disappearing over yonder hill...well at least he is armed.

Isk

I have a 6.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum that I sometimes carry in a western style holster attached to a cartridge loop belt while canoeing or camping. It's really a bit much for hiking, but if it's a short trail I might wear it. I find it best for canoeing because I can easily remove it if I fall in or something. On dry ground it can be hung off a tree branch for easy access by those I'm with in case something comes out of the trees.

Of course, I'm in Alaska, so I could wear in while walking down the streets of Anchorage if I wanted...but I don't.

9mmfan

There were holsters that straddled the pommel for the big "horse pistols" such as Walkers or Dragoons. Of course that was for mounted cavalry, not so much cowboys.

I know the OP is in Austria, but if you can get your hands on a book called "Packing Iron: Gunleather of the Frontier West" it's chock full of info and pics of this sort of thing, period as well as modern reproductions.

I don't ride horses, but have gone afoot out in the sticks (private property, OC isn't allowed here in Texas, barring specific circumstances) with a Cimmaron Model P in a plain 'ol Triple K Cheyenne holster on one of their cartridge belts. It's worked on an ATV as well.

Have also done it with one of those "nice Austrian pistols.":D

sgms

Saddle holsters were mostly use by cavalry to increase a troopers firepower when in a cavalry on cavalry fight. The trooper had a pistol and sometime a saber, although I have seen saddles that allowed sabers to be mounted on them, on the saddle 1 to 2 pairs (most often 1 pair) of pistols could be holstered so shoot one pistol empty re-holster it and draw another. The picture of the twin holsters is a civil war saddle set while the single holster is a typical cowboy slimjim style holster used just after our American Civil War.
As for open carry on pistols, it is a matter of state and local laws as to if you can carry a pistol openly in town or not. Some yes some no just have to know the local laws.

Attachments

• 1812.jpg
    1812.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Z7Holst.jpg
    Z7Holst.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 66

Wyoredman

simonrichter said:
But that brings me to another question: Is it, generally spoken (I know it differs from State to State) allowed to carry visibly while somewhere uninhabited? (If I'm under the right impression you may NOT carry a sidearm in, say, an open hip holster within city limits, in the public etc.; in that case only concealed.)

In almost all Wyoming towns, a firearm may be carried in an open holster, or slung over your shoulder, without breaking the law. It is perfectly legal, most places in the State.

As for the open country, anyplace is O.K. to carry a gun, and recommended in most, for critters and such!

A Concealed Firearm, requires a non resident to have a permit. Residents can carry concealed or open without a permit.

Also, if you ever visit Wyoming and stop at a gas station, ask the fella filling up his truck at the next pump to see his "truck gun"! Most people will pull something out from under the seat and start a conversation with you. We love to talk guns and Freedom!

Thanks for the questions.:)