Carrying concealed means "concealed"

Jeff22

Yesterday I was returning home from a trip out west with my Dad.

We were fueling up in Dakota, Minnesota and there was some goof walking around wearing a blue t-shirt that said "keep calm & carry guns" and the bottom of his holster was sticking out below his shirt. Couldn't for sure tell what kind of gun or holster combination he was employing but it wasn't well concealed.

Being an attention whore is always tactically stupid. And such behavior is offensive to more responsible people. Carrying concealed means "concealed".

JimmyR

Jeff22 said:
Yesterday I was returning home from a trip out west with my Dad.

We were fueling up in Dakota, Minnesota and there was some goof walking around wearing a blue t-shirt that said "keep calm & carry guns" and the bottom of his holster was sticking out below his shirt. Couldn't for sure tell what kind of gun or holster combination he was employing but it wasn't well concealed.

Being an attention whore is always tactically stupid. And such behavior is offensive to more responsible people. Carrying concealed means "concealed".

I never really thought shirts like that were smart to wear while carrying. One of my biggest layers of concealment is nonchalance- if I don't bring attention to myself, I don't bring attention to my sidearm. I will open carry sometimes (approx 30% of the time, more or less) and try to keep the same dogma of attracting as little attention as possible.

9ballbilly

Agree with the OP. The combination of logo shirt and partly exposed holster is IMHO an invitation to trouble.
Others might see it as a deterrent, but I see no advantage in giving away the element of surprise if something terrible happens.
YMMV

zxcvbob

How is "element of surprise" of any value when you are on defense?

This sounds like a failure of fashion rather than tactics.

4thPoint

The "element of surprise" is the theory that after a bad guy has initiated a confrontation and has you at gunpoint, you'll be able to draw from concealment, aim, and make solid hits faster than he can twitch his finger.

Auto5

Watch a few videos of armed citizens fighting back. When the attackers are surprised, they often flee, even though they may outnumber the intended victims. I don't want to open up the whole "open vs concealed" debate, but I seem to recall one gunwriter referring to firearm logo and psuedo-tactical attire as "shoot me first" clothing. Among criminals, a stolen gun is a valuable prize and this kind of sartorial display can even make the wearer a target.

45Gunner

I never was a proponent of anything that drew attention to being armed, certainly not a fan of open carry. And not to go off in a different direction, I am not one that likes or uses stickers on front doors or car windows that say, "Protected by ............" (Insert your favorite gun on the blank line.) Why make yourself a target of a gun thief or someone that wants to disarm the opposition?

My castle has two signs on it: "Protected by ABC Security video surveillance" and "Beware of Dog." As proud as I am to be a NRA Life Member, I don't display that sticker to the outside world, not for any political reason, but I just don't want to announce to anyone casing the neighborhood that I have guns inside.

And coming back to the original issue, it's all the same reasons not to let the world you have a gun on your person.

4thPoint

Those signs only mean that anyone will be prepared to kill a dog or disable a security system; wouldn't ""having the element of surprise"" by not advertising be more effective?
Or...
... perhaps we do realize the value of deterrence?

I'm an out of shape, overweight, prize of a target; a lumbering merchantman in a world of pirates sailing corsairs. I'd rather they be deterred than to have to fight my way out of a situation once it has begun, but everyone is free to make their own decisions.

40-82

Some people are going to wear message t-shirts. I wouldn't, but it's really their business. If they're going to wear one, the one I saw that I liked the best had the human silhouette shape and the scoring rings of the old PPC target. That way if a bad guyed plugged someone wearing that style shirt, he could have the pleasure of scoring how he did--seems a small enough courtesy in a harsh world.

For me the scoring ring shirt might actually have some small deterrent value. I'd be afraid that I might not be good enough to score a quick X.

Jimboh247

I am still waiting on my CHL to be processed, so I open carry. The ONLY reason I do is because I don't want to go unarmed.

I really feel uncomfortable open carrying because everyone looks at you like you're a criminal. I certainly do not like to advertise I'm armed, but i'm not going to be concerned if I accidentally "print".

I don't have any gun related apparrel, so advertising I have a gun won't happen.

Glockstar .40

How does me wearing a Glock shirt or a keep calm and carry shirt offensive?

I have a few shirts from various firearm manufacturers and I sometimes wear them outside my house. I dont do it to be an "attention whore" as you put it. I wear them because I like the shirt\hat. What am I supposed to only wear them as jammies??

Why are people only attention whores if they wear gun paraphernalia? What about someone wearing a Harley Davidson shirt? Are they attention whores also? Or maybe theyre just passionate about Harleys? Or maybe their Yamaha shirt was just dirty.

Here's some advice. Take a chill pill. Him wearing a shirt doesnt hurt the 2nd amendment any.
I dont understand gun owners sometimes. We want public opinion on our side but when someone wears a shirt about a gun we freak out. Its not offensive to promote conceal carry. Tactically stupid? Perhaps, but I havent been shot yet while wearing mine.

Jim567

The t shirts don't bother me at all.
My first thought on seeing a guy getting out of a car with one is --
I wonder if his car will be broken into?
Same with pro gun stickers on a vehicle.
That's all.

skoro

Being an attention whore is always tactically stupid. And such behavior is offensive to more responsible people. Carrying concealed means "concealed"

The unfortunate reality is that certain percentage of morons will qualify for and be granted concealed carry permits.

Model12Win

I avoid wearing any gun related clothing in general, and especially avoid wearing things like camo tacti-trousers and stuff like that.

Man this guy semed to have some nerve, I get paranoid if my J-frame makes a little bump on my waist.

captneil19

carrying concealed

I live in ms.,you guys would freak out if you lived here. FIRST of all there is a open carry law,and of course the concealed carry.If u choose to carry concealed the weapon does not have to be completely covered,ask any deputy.The open carry, u go in the feed store ,grocery,u name it there will be folks carrying six guns in their hip legally.The only place u cannot carry is the post office,hospital,school zone pick up your child,federal bldg.,court house.It looks like u took a step back into time.When they were writing up the ground rules for concealed ,this came up,if u took a piece of twine and put it through the trigger guard an held it up u were concealing that part of that weapon, so in essence the weapon was concealed.Well that was brought into the open carry law to,because they agreed it was concealed with the twine.So it was agreed that if could be seen that it was a gun ,weapon then a hoster could be used.And they voted in open carry. But yes ms. Rules are different.

Jo6pak

OMG, you may have seen a gun...we'll get you into therapy right away:eek:

So the guy was driving and he stops for fuel and forgets to check his concealment. Oops.
Oh, and he also is wearing a T-shirt with a catchy phrase on it.

Big deal. I've seen people with there guns showing. Usually I make a point to kindly inform them. All have been totally amiable and thanks me for telling them.

Maybe you've lived in Madison too long:rolleyes:

zxcvbob

Being an attention whore is always tactically stupid. And such behavior is offensive to more responsible people. Carrying concealed means "concealed". [emphasis added]

I just noticed this. Who exactly are these "more responsible people" that are offended? Do you mean you? If so, do you speak for all responsible people, or just yourself? (I don't remember voting for a spokesman, but maybe I didn't make the cut.)

cheezhed

I saw this posting yesterday and found it amusing as I purchased the very same shirt earlier. I liked the shirt and I will wear it. If anyone can prove that
someone was shot because of their garb please site an example. I see it as no different than wearing a cross or carrying a bible, you might offend someone but I don't care. I also wear a NRA hat every once and awhile and have engaged people in conversations about gun control and other civil liberties.
I am effective in presenting both the facts and my point of view in a civil manner and this is the best way for a carrier to conduct themselves in public.

Mobuck

Open carry is legal in my state of residence. I consider "concealed" to be obscured from casual notice. I don't wear clothing that calls attention to myself nor do I have tattoos or purple hair. If anyone pays real close attention, they'll know I'm carrying. If some bad guy knows I'm armed, he has to make a choice as to whether he wants a piece of what I have to deal.