Carrying a Third Generation Smith?

milky7272

I have been carrying my 1006 IWB with the decocker/ saftey on. I have carried my g29 before wich was dao and had no saftey. Is it ok to carry the 1006 with the saftey off and hammer down? Or should it be carried with the saftey on? I would like to know how others carry their third gen smiths?

Homerboy

Most people carry it that way. The safety is pretty stiff, so it won't engage accidentally. HOWEVER, if you're going to carry a gun with the safety off, you should train to automatically flick the safety off, even if it is already off. Doesn't cost you anything, but will negate the possibility of the safety being on when you think it is off.

NRAhab

I was generally instructed to carry a traditional DA/SA gun like the 3rd Gen Smith or Beretta 92FS series guns with the decocker/safety lever in the "fire" position. With the hammer down and the safety off, the gun operates similarly to a double action revolver with that long first trigger pull and no safety catches to release.

My favorite traditional DA/SA auto are the Beretta 92/96 "G" series guns. On these, the safety lever is a decocker only, which lowers the hammer on a live round but does not act as a safety. That way you can't accidentally engage the safety without knowing.

dgludwig

Is it ok to carry the 1006 with the saftey off and hammer down?

Absolutely. In fact, the agency I worked for required us to carry our 6906 pistols (and their ilk) in said mode.