Carrying A Gun In Israel

44caliberkid

I was wondering what the current climate was like, before the latest massacre. In the 70’s and 80’s it seemed like carry was common and widespread there. Did liberalism in the 21st century lull people into complacency, make it socially unacceptable? I recall a poster at a range or gun shop that said, “Why Israel doesn’t have school shootings” , that depicted an Israelie school teacher watching a line of students with a Galil slung over her shoulder. A friend who spent some time at a kibbutz in the 70’s said assault rifles and pistols were available in case of emergency. Stories so far don’t report much armed resistance to the recent Hammas assault. I did hear they were handing out weapons now, after the fact.
My brother has spent 4 to 5 weeks, in the last two summers, in South Africa, and said everybody carrys down there.

Last edited:

jonnyc

Israelis still in the service, and those doing miluim (reserve) duty usually have their long-arms in tow, as will members of the uniformed Civil Guard. You will also see civilians with rifles when they are guarding tours, settlements, or are teachers on field trips. Anyone you see with a pistol will be a private security guard, has a government carry permit (rare), is carrying quasi-legally, or has a pistol/permit issued by a town or settlement armory, or a school.
I ran a kibbutz/settlement armory for a couple of years in the 1980s and I often issued pistols or M1 Carbines to residents who wanted or needed a firearm. I was rejected for a government permit as they said I had no real need, so I just wrote one out for myself...no problem.