Carrying a .38 (or 2): ammo, holsters, grips

glockopop

I now have an S&W M64-3 and a 37-nothing. I plan to carry the 37 all the time in the front pocket and the 64 on the belt frequently. Any recommended grips or holster that you use? What about ammo? I'd prefer not to use +P in the 37, I'm sure it's not going to harm it, but this is a little gem and I want to shoot it forever, and I practice a lot. What about the Federal Reduced-Recoil 110gr. load? Any experience, good or bad?

Webleymkv

I also am interested in non-+P loads for a soon to be mine Colt Cobra (older unshrouded ejector rod). I favor heavy bullets so something in the 140-158 grn range is preferred.

BillCA

Glockopop,

For carrying spare ammo, I suggest you invest in several sets of Bianchi Speed Strips and learn to use them. They'll work on any size frame gun as long as it's a .38/.357 round.

I don't particularly like the 110 gr ammo for self defense as I consider the bullet too light for adequate penetration.

For standard velocity loads in your M37, try either the Winchester/USA 125gr JHP (USA38SP) or the Winchester Super-X 158gr LSWC (X38WCPSV). Velocities are 850 and 755 fps respectively.

omegapd

Magtech makes an excellent 158g SJHP in non +p. It's pretty affordable and comes in 50 round boxes.

One thing that may change your mind on the whole +p issue, is to get a non +p load and a +p from the same manufacturer and look up its differences on-line. The difference between +p and non is so small in most cases, that I personally don't think it's an issue.

newerguy

Plain old ordinary standard pressure 158 gr. LSWC. I've got Winchesters, I don't I know if they are good, bad, best, or worst.