carry options with sciatica

Jim Bronson

In the summer I carry a Ruger LCP 380 in a pocket holster. In winter I carry a G43 in a Blackhawk Serpa OWB holster. Both combos are very comfortable for me. That is until recently.
Due to an injury, I have developed sciatica and a condition called "piriformis syndrome". The pocket carry holster for the Ruger 380 seems to be fine. But even though the G43 and Serpa holster are light, they cause pain and discomfort. I tried to carry the G43 in my pocket but found it to be a little too big for me in my pocket. I really like to G43 so I was wondering if any member out there has had the same experience with sciatica and concealed carry and what was your remedy? Winter's coming up quickly and I would like to start carrying the G43 again.

moose fat

I don't, but I did injure my back about twenty years ago. I started going lite with a S&W 340PD in a pocket holster then in a Kramer OWB Belt Scabbard.
And I quit carrying my wallet in the back pocket.
I have read that a quality shoulder holster with wide shoulder straps works well where sciatica is an issue.

jar

Yes, but I've found if I carry behind the point of my hip it is better. Also, consider cross draw. When mine is really acting up I switch to a cross draw paddle holster or shoulder holster.

Crankylove

I got sciatica as well.

Best I’ve found is inside waistband, around 5 o’clock ish. I carry either a Ruger SP101, or an officers 1911. Carry any farther forward is no good for long duration.

SSGN-Doc

Herniated and flattened a few discs in my back. Left sided sciatica. I started carrying Appendix inside the waist band. Not for everyone and it can take a considerable amount of experimenting to find the right holster and gun combo. I don’t stick staged striker fired pistols in there. I stick with double action revolvers or DA/SA semi-autos. (Just for peace of mind.).

This gives me pretty rapid access to the firearm. it’s a good location for retention, and it doesn’t bother my back. Even an all steel J frame .357 (S&W 640 Pro) can ride there comfortably all day.

Nathan

I have a bad back and hip. Like really bad. The back doctor was ready to operate on my back….broken years ago(one of the hooks) until he saw my hip. Then he sent me to a hip surgeon. When our schedules align, I will be getting a new hip…..in short, I know bad. Yes I have been diagnosed with sciatica before. I believe I will be able to do/carry most anything with a new hip and some weight loss.

That said, 2 things are helping me. Carrying as light of pistol as is appropriate for ccw and carrying it in the most supportive way possible.

For example, I’m carrying a Shield Plus or S&W 340 on the waist instead of a 1911 or other big guns with less support. I also carry light guns in a shoulder holster.