Carry Option for 9mm J-Frame Reloads

Screwball

I'm a big fan of carrying reloads for my carry guns... and when I had my S&W 642-1 shooting .38s, I went through a few options before sticking with HKS speedloaders. They worked the best for me, and was happy with them.

Fast forward to me converting my J-frame to 9mm... HKS speedloaders aren't the answer. Being my cylinder was converted by Pinnacle, and originally .38, I have to use moonclips. That is given, so I needed to see what works to carry them. Just tossing them in a pocket can work, but also an easy way to bend the moonclip.

For me, I prefer carrying 15 rounds (total) at a minimum. That is how I tend to carry my Ruger LCP and SIG P938 (7+1 in the gun, another 7 rounder as a reload; Magguts conversion for the LCP's standard magazine... and if they do one for the SIG, I'll squeeze some more rounds in it). So, five in the gun, and at least two reloads...

First option is the Ruger Moon Clip Case. You can get these in pairs at ShopRuger and Brownells. Not very expensive, and for how it is designed, I'd hope it wouldn't be. I checked, and the loaded 9mm LCR moonclips are slightly wider than J-frame moonclips (about 1mm larger in diameter). Reviews for 9mm LCR moonclips said they were extremely tight... which I did not feel these were that bad. They weren't that loose, either.

Jzr0m06.jpg

I've yet to see a specific right way to carry these, but you have two options; pocket or on a belt. The belt way loops the case around the belt, and the pressure holds it on the belt... with the moonclip/ammo closing off the top. In the pocket, you have this long tail on it... which isn't that great.

xQTCfQy.jpg

dfEWwQW.jpg

Personally, I am not a fan of these. The moonclip is held, but I rather have more retention. Or at least a more standardized retention. If you look at the holder without a reload in, there is a lip that goes under the extractor groove on the outside round, and a lip keeps the two inside rounds/moonclip from rising. Feel they are too easy to pop them out of, especially if you don't take care to set them right.

Second option is more of a winter, open, or competition carry... even though the last one is a little odd for a J-frame. These are from Revolver Supply Company, and for the 9mm J-frame... you want the short 3/8" posts. They are available in double posts, which you hold two moonclips per post (total of four with a double post holder). I got two of the singles, as it is more comfortable for carry.

dyfIJZd.jpg

XQ7KUx5.jpg

Uses a standard belt, which would be fine if I have a cover garment that would hide it. The company says that you can use a heatgun to adjust the retention. Pretty much, heat the curved part for the base, and bend back/forward for retention. I took mine, and once heated, I pushed the post against the wall to get the most retention possible (it will come forward a tad). Will not shed a moonclip, even if just a single one on the post.

For a belt option, I really do like these. They do seem cheapish, until you toss it on. I like fitting the retention for your need, and I haven't seen them get loose. They are a little costly, but if you have the ability to utilize them... very good option.

Screwball

My third option is actually the one I tend to carry. Again, they cost a little bit of money... but for quality gear that works, I feel it is definitely worth it. These are available through Del Fatti Leather. They are black, with two options; a short 9mm, and a long .38/.357.

bUDnXNv.jpg

There is a screw that goes from the retaining post to the base, which controls retention by expanding a bushing. Very easy to adjust, but the beauty of this design is how you release the carrier...

Gwzr5eM.jpg

5oj0ly3.jpg

The post extends past the base of the moonclip, so easy to get the reload into the right orientation. Put your thumb and middle finger around the moonclip, and press the post with the trigger finger... case goes flying and you are ready to reload.

Personally, I am a fan of this the best. Toss two or even three of them in a cargo pocket, and I'm at/over my number of rounds. I also think it brings me back to how I carried the HKS speedloaders, which might be a subconscious view of it. My SIG tends to go in a cargo pocket, and my LCP goes in a back pocket... but I really don't carry the J-frame as a pocket gun. While I'm sure it can, drawing a J-frame from my pocket isn't easy with my hand size. It is a similar reason why I can't draw the SIG from a standard pocket... especially with the seven rounders (even with the flush six rounders).

I carry my J-frame IWB, with a White Hat MicroTuck holster. I have been using the LaserMax weapon light with the revolver, so need a holster that accepts it. With the gun on my belt, the reloads can have their own dedicated cargo pocket with no issue.

Anyways, I'm big on getting different views on things like this... as I feel we always have something to learn. In my research, I've seen people say they use pill bottles... and while I'm sure it can work, I feel it is a little too involved to get a reload out. I do have some blue pill bottles, which are pop open... but not something I really would want to carry reloads. I actually use those for storing my moonclips.

If you have different versions to carry these reloads, and even .38/.357 moonclips, definitely post them up. Figured would definitely make an interesting discussion.

smee78

I honestly just carry mine in my pocket, never bent one yet. This applies to my S&W 940, 627, 625, 1917 and Ruger Speed Six in 9mm. I dont over think it, moon clips rode in the pockets of soldiers during war and were ok. I'm sure riding in my pocket will be less severe and if one gets bent just throw it away and grab another, they are fairly cheap.

WC145

I've been carrying my Pinnacle converted S&W 360J for over 8 years, never had a problem with bent moonclips, either. Usually drop a couple in a pocket, or put two in a small pill bottle, that works well for keeping spares in car consoles, backpacks, etc..

BTW, when soldiers were carrying 1917 S&W and Colt .45ACP revolvers they were using half moon clips that held only 3rounds each. They were flatter, easier to carry, and harder to bend.

heyjoe

Since 1994,i have always just put one loaded 9mm moonclip inside another and carried it in my pocket. i have never had a moonclip bend enough to not work correctly in my 940. By putting one inside the other it adds stability to the rounds that you are carrying.

Interesting topic. I too am in the process of getting my Taurus 905 ready to carry (still waiting to get the TK Custom clips) and I'm looking for options for carrying the loaded moonclips. From what I've been hearing the TK custom clips are made pretty well so I don't think it would be much of an issue carrying them in the side pockets of cargo pants but jeans are another story. If I were wearing jeans I would want something on clipped to the outside belt. I'm not crazy about either of those outside the belt options you've demonstrated for defensive carry.

Those Del Fatti carriers look like the best idea for concealed carry but the cost may not justify there use when you could just toss a few moonclips in your side pocket. I'm also concerned I may not be able to access them as fast as I could just using loose clips.

Last edited:

JimCunn

I carry three 5-round moon clips in a Walmart pill bottle.

Attachments

• 2019-05-09 15.16.48.jpg
    2019-05-09 15.16.48.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 81

JimCunn

Oh, it's relevant, but the extra fifteen rounds in the pill bottle do help with the comfort level.

Why are "shoot" and "operate" listed in the thesaurus as synonyms for "run"?

Last edited:

TruthTellers

Depending on the revolver, it's not a requirement that a moon clip be used with 9mm; most 9mm revolvers can shoot without using a clip.

So, I would just carry a pair of speedloaders or speed strips. If I have to reload a revolver a SECOND time, that means the first 10 rds didn't stop the problem and I have bigger problems to worry about.

HighValleyRanch

^^^^^^^
Most people are carry the small revolvers because of concealment and pocket carry, so why would one choose to have an exposed speed loader pouch on the body. Sort of gives it all away, doesn't it.
And if you have to have a long T-shirt to cover the speedloader pouch, then why pocket carry when you could just as well go IWB or AIWB with the long T-shirt?

Just wondering. My pouch is kept in the pocket, so nothing is exposed.

2damnold4this

Do any of you 9mm revolver owners carry spare ammunition in a semiauto magazine? I wonder if something like a Ruger LC9 magazine might let a shooter thumb fresh rounds into the cylinder efficiently.

Screwball

Do any of you 9mm revolver owners carry spare ammunition in a semiauto magazine? I wonder if something like a Ruger LC9 magazine might let a shooter thumb fresh rounds into the cylinder efficiently.

Nope... moonclips.

Only revolver I’d run like that is my Ruger New Vaquero Convertible... in .45. Use a 1911 magazine, and toss in .45 ACP. My Colt M1917 (and whenever I get a S&W to go along with it), I’d rather run moonclips than doing it like that. Might seem simple, but I’ve seen people mess up placing rounds in a cylinder hole before... want to try added complexity of using a magazine that likely pushes the round out on an angle?