Carry modifications for smooth draw

croyance

I notice when reading gun rags that the carry modifications seem to help more in holstering a gun than actually making sure the gun doesn't snag when drawn.

I'm not speaking of things like "melt jobs" or rounded/beveled edges. But when you look at carry sights (Novak style), the rounding done on the muzzle and cylinder, etc. most are in the front, which doesn't keep anything from snagging on the draw.
It certainly makes for a more dramatic photo, but I question the utility. After all, if a gun snags on holstering, one just pulls it out again and just does it more carefully. If you have your finger on the trigger when holstering, it will still go off once finger meets holster.

Sure it is more difficult to make a curved rear surface on the rear sight and still present a nice square notch in the sight picture, but not impossible. It is the rear face that needs the gentle slope to keep from snagging, not the front.

Thought? What am I not seeing?

WESHOOT2

misunderstood

Your post.

I grab the 'handle' when I draw (sixteen or seventeen differing types), not the sight.

:confused:

Roberta X

Croyance, that long, sloped front profile -- the back is a bit more sloped than old-style iron sights, too -- does two things: 1) it's stronger 2) it keeps you from injuring your hand when clearing a stovepipe. Remember the drill? If done properly and rapidly, there's a good chance the rear sight is going to be brushing your hand right at the pinky/palm juction as the slide returns to battery, while you're still moving your hand the other way. Do it with nice, crisp old-type sights and you are likely to leave some skin behind. Novaks and clones, the ramped shape just shoves your hand out of the way.

Some of these gun writers either take it for granted or it have forgotten the reason why. With a nice, shiny, well-tweaked new gun, one with the modern lowered, chopped and channeled (or is that cars? I forget) ejection port, stovepipe jams are rare. ...The jammomatics I carry, well, that's another story.

So it doesn't have that much to do with the draw. There's more to a carry gun than the Olde West Quickdraw!

smince

All the nice round edges keep your clothes from becoming shredded, as will happen with daily carry and sharp edges. They also help with general gunhandling. I've carried/handled guns that were very rough.

In the event you don't get your covering garment out of the way, these mods COULD prevent snagging. Every little bit helps in the real world.