Carry methods - Tips, tricks, mistakes, etc

Dangerwing

How do YOU carry concealed? 2 O'Clock or 4 O'Clock? IWB or OWB? Maybe a shoulder rig? Belly Band, Thunderwear, Ankle holster? Tell us your stories about what worked and what didn't. What guns work well in what situation but maybe not so well in others. This isn't a "best carry gun" thread, its a "how to best carry a gun" thread. Annnd......go.

oldandslow

Dangerwing, 7/10/08

Tips: 1. Must have a pistol that is easy to carry. For me the total height matters most, followed by weight, thickness and lastly barrel length. Pistols over five inches high print too easily for me. I prefer alloy framed pistols for light weight, and a barrel length of 3.5 to 4 inches.

2. Must have a good holster and belt. There is no substitute for either.

3. Carry mode- living in the tropics I use IWB or a waist pack (they are quite common here so it's easy to blend in). I carry my IWB at 3:30 off my right hip.

4. Clothing- you may have to dress around your pistol and holster. If you live in a cold weather climate it may be easier to conceal, if in hot weather you may need loose fitting untucked shirts. If using IWB you will need to buy your pants slightly larger in the waist (1-2 inches).

Mistakes- don't keep readjusting your holster in public. Let it settle into one comfortable position.

My favorites for IWB carry (I like metal pistols)- in .45 I like the Sig-245, Beretta 8045 Minicougar, and SW-4516. In 9mm I like the Sig-239, SW-3914 and 6906, and the CZ-75 compact.

I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

best wishes- oldandslow

Kreyzhorse

OldandSlow really nailed it.

1. Picking a concealable gun that isn't too heavy. You can get away with carrying almost any gun, but after a while, a gun that is too heavy or too big gets left at home.

2. A good LEATHER GUN BELT AND HOLSTER are invaluable. Don't skimp on price.

3. I generally carry OWB @ 8 o'clock. Most guns in my opinion are too big for pocket carry and I'm not a big fan of IWB. The perfect carry rig is different for everyone, what works for me won't work for you. Trial and error is the best way to find out what works. Its also the most expensive.

4. I wear a lot of loose fitting, untucked busy pattern shirts in the summer. Winter is sweatshirts or other covering clothing. Bottomline is that you'll learn to dress around what you carry. The bigger the gun is, the more you have to dress around it.

My biggest piece of advice for a first time carrier? No matter what you think, everyone is not staring at your gun. I repeat - no even knows you have a gun. No one has noticed any thing. Be cool.

Keltyke

The hardest part of my Steyr S40 to conceal is the butt. In my Desantis belt slide, the barrel lays flat against my hip. In certain positions (bent at the waist, for example) the butt prints. Is identifiable as a gun? Probably not, except by someone in the know. Is it heavy? Yup, and a good, heavy belt is needed to support the holster. A $12.99 Wal-Mart special won't do. My belt came from Tractor supply. I also carry a Taurus 85UL, which is a lot easier to hide in the same type of holster.

By experimentation, I've determined OWB is the most comfortable, most accessible method of carry for me.

Magyar

OWB? Maybe a shoulder rig? and pocket carry

The above 3 works for me...On the OWB, it's in a cross-draw due to the body mechanics involved...Shoulder rig mostly in the cooler months with a cover garment...Summer, mostly pocket carry with little attire..
I cannot tolerate IWB or something around my belly...It's just me and my Karma..:)

ajaxinacan

For me, it's OWB, IWB, and Fanny Pack, in that order.

I've tried several other methods. The most comfortable, but least reliable, was Mexican carry. The most reliable, but least comfortable, was IWB crossdraw.

I now carry on the strong side behind the hip, OWB or IWB. Depends on my dress.

tex45acp

IWB with a top end custom holster made for your specific gun and barrel length, supported by a top end gunbelt. This makes IWB carry very pleasurable. I know because that's the only way I carry. I have a box of holsters I tried before and I am slowly selling them all off. They look good but the rubber really hits the pavement when you carry all day, sitting, standing, walking & bending. The holster has to be able to retain your weapon securely while comfortably doing so. I carry at the 4-5 o'clock position.

DWARREN123

I carry either a Glock 23 or 27. Perferred is IWB cross draw. I also carry in a JIT slide on strong side. The IWB conceals better and is more comfortable for me.
I have a belly band and a smart carry but like the Don Hume IWB best.

izzkidioto

Definately a quality belt and holster that grabs the belt. Leather Don Hume holster with sturdy leather belt at 4 o'clock.

BillCA

First, lay a solid foundation. Get a quality gun belt to support the weight of the gun. Be sure it is thick and sturdy enough to support weight.

Second, a quality holster. Cheap holsters made of nylon or thin leather will let the gun "lean out" way from the attachment point (owb). A quality holster will remain open for one-hand reholstering, have a snug fit, and cover the triggerguard for safety.

IWB - watch the ones with the rough exterior finishes. For those who wear boxer shorts or boxer briefs, the rough surface can "grab" your shorts and move them up or down if you're moving a lot. This can require a mens room visit to adjust certain things.

Metal Clips - look for the metal clips with more than a mere indentation to catch the belt. I've seen people draw the gun and holster at the same time.

J-Clips - work pretty well, but avoid plastic ones if you can. They have to be thicker and are thus harder to get onto a thick belt. They can snap without warning too.

OWB: Take your gun with you to be sure it fits in the mode you want to carry. This is especially true if it can be carried hammer up or down with a safety/thumb strap.

Look for even, straight quality stitching. Avoid holsters showing any kind of plastic/monofilament stitching material, including nylon (these will cut thru the leather and wear out the holster faster).

Fit: Put the holster on the belt where you want to wear it. Relax. Don't hold your stomach in, just relax. A good fit will have the butt tight to your body. If it's sticking out, re-adjust it and try again. Lightly pull up and push down on the gun...it should not move up and down on the belt itself. Push the gun forward and backwards. Does the holster slide fore & aft easily? It should move with some effort or not at all, but should not slide with a light touch.

Mounting: Straight drop or Canted?
Some holsters come with only two belt openings. These will either be vertical carry (muzzle straight down) or or canted with the butt forward. Canted holsters can match the grip to your natural hand angle on the draw. They also rotate the sharp, lower/rear corner of the butt up & forward for less printing. If you will carry forward of your center-line (between 12-3 o'clock or 12-9 for southpaws) you might prefer a straight drop or crossdraw holster. Holsters with 3 slots allow either straight drop or canted carry.

The closer the beltloop area is to the holster itself the tighter the gun fits to your body. Look for a mount in the middle or slightly higher. Low mounts will allow "lean out" unless a metal shank is used to bolster the strength.

Retention systems:
None, Thumb-breaks, tension screws, spring clamps, etc. have all been used. Decide if you want these devices or which one(s) you DON'T want. I like the security of a thumb-break personally. But I do have tension-screw types too.

Other Stuff:
Buy a holster that fits your barrel length if possible. Barrels that peek out the bottom with vertical (Patridge) sights can snag on the draw. Excess length begs for dirt & crap to hide at the bottom. (Yaqui slide types are a different game, of course).

Open Muzzle - at least there should be a small drain hole opening or exit for moisture. This is especially true if your state has heavy rainstorms that form quickly. Closed end holsters can capture moisture and corrode the muzzle end.

Paddle holsters work fine - IF you need to remove and replace your gun frequently during the day. Be prepared for it being less concealable however, due to the paddle.

Shoulder Holsters should be high quality rigs. Avoid those with elastic straps or narrow nylon straps. The harness should lay flat on your weak side shoulder with the gun in place. With the unit adjusted for your size, all straps should lay flat (no flipping over) and any buckles should lay below the rib cage so they don't print thru your jacket. Properly adjusted the gun should not flop around as you walk. Be sure you can easily reach not only the gun, but any release strap. For some women this may not be simple (and for those men with large bellies). For vertical carry, I like a belt attachment at the muzzle end, though this might "flash" the gun in some cases.
(Galco's Jackass/Miami Classic is very comfy, even with a steel framed 1911 Commander and a pair of loaded magazines).

Linings
For blued guns, Sarfailand started using orthopedic elk suede lining decades ago. It does work well to keep leather from abrading your blue finish. If you're carrying a blued gun, it's worth the extra money. The caveat is that if you wear it in dry, dusty climates or in high humidity zones, it's important to clean it at least monthly. Dust & Dirt will act like abrasives. Extra moisture can start rust spots.

For stainless guns, I don't think I'd bother with a lining unless the holster comes very rough on the inside.

Someone else's turn now.

BillCA

Clothing:
When selecting concealment clothing, darker colors are usually better (fewer shadows or contrasts). Non-geometric patterns (e.g. hawaiian shirts) are better than regular interval patterns (stripes, checks, etc.)

The eye perceives irregularities in a regular pattern fairly fast. The old TV test-pattern with checks and stripes allowed you to quickly see distortions. So... either random shapes, mixed-patterns or a plain solid color can be used.

Usually buy cover shirts one size larger than you'd normally wear. For most people, it will work, unless your build is unusual. Two sizes larger and sometimes it looks ill fitting with sleeves too far down the shoulder.

If you plan to wear it buttoned, check the fit over your preferred carry style (IWB/OWB) and see if you can still access your firearm. If it's too tight, loosen a bottom button and try. You may need a larger size.

If you like the tucked-in Polo shirt look, you'll need to find a holster that accomodates IWB and the shirt over the gun. Knit polo shirts may stretch out around the gun over time (a good thing as it helps hide it) but may look sloppy to you.

Suit Jackets & Sports Coats
You'd be surprised at the skill sets of some tailors. I was surprised by a Men's Warehouse tailor in Nevada who fit my sports coat. He spotted the wear marks on my carry belt and asked if I wanted the right side "stiffened". They inserted a layer or two of material along the right side to keep the jacket from printing.

Otherwise, do not select jackets that are tapered. While these give you a trim, fit look (on slimmer men) they will print badly. You want a fuller cut that drapes down from the shoulder naturally.

Winter Coats:
You're on your own here... I'm in California. ;)

Mistakes:
  • Don't lean away from the gun. Stand up straight or lean slightly into it. Leaning away brings the cover garment in contact. Upright allows the cover to hang naturally. Leaning slightly into it pulls the cover garment away from the gun.
  • Ratchet Belt: Adjust your belt tightness before you leave the house. While standing, adjust the belt tension to support the gun correctly. Hopefully this will avoid the "slide" when you sit and then stand up again. Resist the urge to ratchet up your belt every time you stand up.
  • Touching the gun area. Some people keep pulling their cover garment down or touching the gun to make sure it's seated in the holster. Before exiting a car or getting out of a chair you can seat the gun in private. Repeatedly touching the area is a dead giveaway though.
  • Whole Lotta Shakin' going on: (AKA the Jell-o Holster) With a poor belt, even a great holster may lean away from the body. When walking this gives the gun a "wiggle" under the shirt. That same wiggle that gets your attention on a woman sometimes, just that it's on the hip instead.
  • Strong-side belt droop: Especially with poor belts, even if you're wearing a jacket, the belt going to the gun side is markedly drooping compared to the other side.
  • Bendover Beethoven: Bending over at the waist to pick up items pulls your cover upwards AND tight against your back & sides. Usually prints very well that way. Solution: Squat down with your body upright and leaning into your gun side slightly. Let the fabric drape normally. Caution: Watch that no one is at the right angle to look under your cover garment.
  • Cop Walk: Watch how you swing your arms. This "label" is applied to cops who wear duty guns that stick out further. When they're off duty you can sometimes spot them because one arm swings close to the body and the other tends to swing in an arc to clear the holster that isn't there. CCW's can develop the same thing with OWB holster and double-stack guns.
  • Got Wood? When sitting down or moving around tall furniture, be aware of the gun's butt. There's nothing like sitting down in a corporate confernce room and hearing something go thunk! against the arm of a chair. Well, unless it's being at a party and you sidestep the hot babe with the hor d'ourve and hear that solid Clunk! as the butt of your Sig hits the china cabinet behind you. If you're unlucky, it's got a glass front and people will wonder how you can be so clumsy to break glass like that.
  • Wake up Little Susie You'll really wake her up if you let her hug you around your gun side. In those "friendly" encounters, turn your strongside away and offer the weak side instead. Keeping your strong side arm in the way can divert her arm from making contact. Remember that when walking a woman's arms are around a man's waist and he usually has his arm around her shoulders. Even if she's gun friendly, you'll expose your gun if your strong arm is up. Switch sides.

LightningJoe

Carry a small gun in your strong-side front pocket. This has enormous tactical advantages. It also provides superb concealment in every situation.

Usually OWB at the 2:30 position. Sometimes in a fanny pack. Sometimes in a shoulder holster. Sometimes in a wallet holster.

I tried many different holsters and many different positions before finding OWB at 2:30 to be best for me as far as belt holsters go. I tried at 4:00 for awhile but found that interfered with sitting too much.

I have found that I prefer high ride holsters that hold the gun well above the belt line and that IWB holsters are just not for me.

I will not post the pics of my fanny pack holster, since some people seem to be put off by the sight of a man that has actually gone through puberty, but here are some pics of current and previous carry methods.

1911.jpg

SigCarry4.jpg

SHvisible1.jpg

1911carry4.jpg

tshadow6

CC

I carry my Bersa CC .380 in my right front pocket. My Glock 19 rides in a OWB paddle holster on my right side or in a Kangaroo under the shirt holster.

bikerbill

The best advice ... a good belt and a good holster ... most people here will tell you they have 2-3 times as many holsters as they have guns; finding the perfect holster for YOU is a matter of trial and error ... another issue is dealing with weather ... here, deep in the heart of Texas, it's been near or over 100 degrees for more than a month .. that means shorts and a tank top ... and that means, for me, my faithful PM9 in my strongside front pocket, in a Nemesis holster ... when it cools off, your options greatly expand, and I have other choices when I can wear heavier clothes ...

Moe Howard

Others have already given some really good advice. The combo of a good holster/belt combo can't be stressed enough. IWB, I strongly prefer belt loops to a clip as the clip holsters tend to wiggle a lot more, at least on me. Your belt should also fit the loops on your holster. Don't wear a 1 1/4 in belt with a holster with 1 1/2 loops, it won't stay in place as well. It doesn't matter how good your belt is, if it is too small for your holsters loops your gun will wiggle. Same with OWB holsters, make sure the belt and holster match up well. If your going to wear a shoulder holster for Gods sake don't cheap out on the holster, get a good quality shoulder rig. Galco, DeSantis, and a few others make nice shoulder rigs. I also tend to agree with Clint Smith, holsters should be made of leather or kydex, nylon is for pantyhose.

Last edited:

LHB1

As previously posted, a quality gunbelt and holster are of paramount importance. The belt is the foundation of the carry system and the holster is the framework of the system. I carry a full size 5" all steel 1911 pistol at 2:30 position using an Alessi 1.5" gunbelt and a Sparks #1 Heritage IWB holster. Works great for me!