carry in bad weather

vertigo7

I drove out to the local post office this morning to mail in my CCW paperwork. It was raining hard, and it made me wonder what extra precautions, if any, you use when you're carrying in bad weather. Do you do any special preventative maintenance beyond what's specified in the manual (dry, field-strip, oil, etc) to your carry gun when you get home, to make sure it's not adversely affected from the exposure during the trip out? Do you change your carry method in bad weather?

Thanks,

vertigo7

dsk

Yes, there are concerns to be addressed. Even if the gun doesn't get wet there is the problem of humidity with your warm, damp body against it, and the difference in temperature & humidity as you go from the soggy outdoors to the warm and dry indoors. If it's a blued gun wipe it down ASAP. Better yet, choose a gun with a rust-resistant finish or go with a stainless gun, which will allow a longer time period before wiping down. Don't forget underneath the grips, BTW. Also change out your ammo after a few months.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I use the same method, and carry the same firearm; a
standard, blue Sig P220 .45 ACP. When carrying in rainy
or snowy conditions, I do field-strip the pistol; removing
all the moisture, and lube with "Break Free CLP". So
far, I haven't experienced any problems.:D :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

WYO

I don't change carry method. If the gun gets soaking wet, I break it down and clean it afterward. I may switch out the ammo.

croyance

I try to avoid getting drenched anyway.

First I try to dry every nook and crany. I do a thorough cleaning. Since there are oils in the cleaning fluid, I don't feel the need to oil more than necessary.

K

KilgorII

I carry a Glock and don't worry about it. It rides in a Sidearmor kydex holster and went with me surf fishing in the Gulf of Mexico last summer and was fine.

That is my solution. Goodluck.

Kilgor

C.R.Sam

Over the years I have had a few jobs in the tropics. Hot, humid and daily rain. Always carried. Never a corrosion problem with blued or parkerized guns.

I work just a little bit of RIG into the wool of a small piece of sheepskin. Daily wipe down if in damp conditions. Rig on the internals also. Very very thin film works.

If gun has been submerged in salt or brackish water I strip it and flush with copious amounts of boiling water. Then re RIG.

Sam