Carry gun recommendations

mapsjanhere

I'm normally not very active in this forum, mainly because my shooting is very poor with semi-autos. I do decent with revolvers in SA, but I fail to hold a sheet of paper at 30 ft consistently with most pistols. But carrying a 44 mag or spc revolver is not convenient, so I keep trying for something I can hit the target with.
My latest attempts include a Walther PK380, a Polish p-64, a Glock 22 and a H&K USP. I do decent with the HK (but that's nearly as big as a revolver), everything else will go on the table at the next gun show (the P-64 might have worked but it has the nastiest bite I ever encountered in a pistol, went through 50 rounds and just said no). I really do poorly with "slow" triggers like the Glock, I have a vertical string that's a mile long. I need something with a crisp trigger that you can take clearly to the breaking point like a SA revolver.
Any suggestions?

11mm

have you considered the Colt Mustang or Sig P238 /938, They're probably the closest you'll get to an SA revolver trigger pull, I shot a p238 and showed up the LC9 I had owned for 6 months

DanTSX

Browning Hi Power or single action Sig Sauer P220 Compact and a semi-custom reinforced belt and a good leather holster.

Are you taking up the slack in the Glock trigger before breaking? It should be pretty close to a heavy Single Action pull once you take up the slack. If you are pulling through the entire trigger pull like a DA Revolver, it's going to result in funky groups.

Also, what kind of groups are you expecting and at what distance?

Sharkbite

Are you taking up the slack in the Glock trigger before breaking? It should be pretty close to a heavy Single Action pull once you take up the slack. If you are pulling through the entire trigger pull like a DA Revolver, it's going to result in funky groups.

Most people i see not shooting a Glock well and/or complaining about the trigger, just need some basic instruction on the unique mechanism. Once you understand HOW to run that trigger it is one of the most consistent on the market.

1.proper finger placement across the swirl of the fingerprint
2. Take out the slack (think of it like a 2stage rifle trigger)
3. Press smoothly to break the shot
4. Reset only until re-engagement
5. Press again

Repeat as necessary..

Ruger45LC

I will agree that once you're proficient with it, the Glock trigger is actually very good, it's just that most don't know "how" to shoot a Glock well so they either complain that the trigger is bad or even worse, the gun is inaccurate. Truth is, I've yet to see a Glock that shot poorly. Dry firing and the short reset trigger are your friend!

G20 @ 15yds offhand

565kBix.jpg

G21:

xbtr8jX.jpg

pilpens

as 11mm said: colt Mustang or Sig 238/938.
Another to consider is 1911 (compact or commander). Bigger than the mustang or 938 but maybe easier to shoot than the small pistols -- I think I would go for a Sig 1911 compact.
=============================
Do you have your shooting fundamentals down?
Could you have somebody look at your technique (basics - breathing, aiming, trigger pull, follow through, etc)?

mapsjanhere

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm well aware that it's my shooting and not the guns that are the problem, I'm just a rifle shooter who only puts in minimal time on the pistol range. I will have another go at the Glock without letting the trigger reset fully so.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Years ago when I began shooting skeet,my scores were good but erratic.Friends urged me to find a good instructor.I did and the results were Very good in so many areas.Single most important change I've done to improve my shooting.Maybe a good time to consider this? :d

Nathan

A 1911 or Browning Hi-Power would both answer your question, but honestly dry fire practice and live fire practice would be a big help too!

I would buy a gun that is the best compromise between shootability (bigger) and fits your outfit (smaller). Then really learn the trigger system.

Buying to match your current level of trigger control seems like it will greatly limit your chance of success.

cc-hangfire

The above suggestions for SA semi autos (Colt Mustang, SIG P238 for smaller, Hi Power or 1911's for larger) will have the SA trigger break you're looking for.

You might shoot some of the DA/SA hammer-fired semi autos too. The CZ pistols have good triggers - I have an older CZ75 that has the lightest DA trigger I've felt. Your first DA shot might not be accurate, but the subsequent shots are SA and will have that crisp trigger break.

Finally, I only have two polymer striker fired handguns: Glock 26 & S&W Shield. I know what you mean with the Glock; even though the trigger isn't heavy, it has some travel. The Shield however (mine at least) has a very short take up - just a couple of millimeters- with a 7-8# very crisp break. 7-8# is not light, but for a striker fired gun it is crisp.

cougar gt-e

Cz75 pattern compact pistol. You can find them in steel, aluminum and Tupperware.

Dedicated carry gun from cz is the "rami" 2075

CZ_2075_RAMI_301479.jpg

.only knock is the width. I prefer thin like a new York model.;)

BigMikey76

I have been looking at the Bersa BP9cc for a little while now. It has a really nice trigger - almost too light (but not quite) and very little travel. It is on the larger side of the subcompact category, but that allows for a full grip and 8 round mag capacity instead of 6 or 7.

lee n. field

. I do decent with revolvers in SA

I really do poorly with "slow" triggers like the Glock, I have a vertical string that's a mile long. I need something with a crisp trigger that you can take clearly to the breaking point like a SA revolver.

How well do you do with revolvers, double action?

If you shoot a revolver DA well, maybe look to find a smooth DA/SA trigger. Otherwise, a 1911-ish single action.

Or, check out the Springfield XD series.

I sometimes see people say that Glocks have a "revolver like" trigger. Don't care for it that much, myself. Likes and dislikes are very individual. I find the Glock's trigger spongy and "annoying". I can't nail it down any more than that.

have been looking at the Bersa BP9cc for a little while now. It has a really nice trigger - almost too light (but not quite)

Scary light, in the example I handled. IMHO & YMMV

Last edited:

dyl

If you're going to carry...

I vote that you keep on shooting and find a fun class. I had already been shooting several years but took an NRA class. I liked the NRA First steps which just took a few hours on a Saturday and mine had a variety of things from videos to SIRT laser pistols to live fire. We just set it up with a phone call and the instructor had a keen eye and was very polite. If you can shoot rifle well, you can shoot pistol but you have to play with it. I don't mean to be a jerk but our police forces have a heck of a time hitting with their pistols in emergencies (we all would) and we pay for their ammo :p So if you're looking to carry, the right gun would help but won't be a silver bullet all by itself.

A crisp trigger with no overtravel and short travel can mask some habits to an extent. Take your fundamentals from rifle shooting and translate some of them to pistol. Except for the cheek weld part.

---Boring fundamentals follow -----
Trigger and grip - You are the bench rest - nothing about you nor your hands move but the trigger finger - and slowly/smoothly at that. The trigger press is gradual and with just enough force to make it start moving - nothing more. If you're getting vertical stringing you are likely anticipating the shot breaking and the muscles of your hands, wrist, and arms are tensing up before it breaks, usually causing the muzzle to dip right before the shot breaks. Not sure if this is happening? skip a chamber when you load your revolver next time, don't let yourself know which one or have a buddy load it. In a rifle the stock pressed against the shoulder resists movement and hides some anticipation but you may be anticipating when shooting rifle too, it's just masked.

Try some dry fire in good lighting while focusing hard on the front sight (as if you're trying to read letters off it) and trying to get the sight to move ZERO as the hammer falls. For a challenge balance a coin on the front sight while dry firing. Then remember that feeling and do this at the range. You may find yourself reverting back to anticipating so interrupt your live fire with a couple dry fire pulls every now and then. You're trying to brain wash yourself into behaving as though there is no BANG after you pull the trigger, as well as remembering what it feels like to keep all the muscles of the hand steady.

From your patterns at 30 ft it may also be a hard front sight focus that is the issue. When we start shooting long range rifle with scopes, we don't practice this as much.

For the gun, if you're better with revolvers no one said a carry gun has to be a semi auto. S&W 637, 638 are light and have SA/DA and the 638 has a shroud for snag free pocket carry. There are also longer barrels to be had in J- frames. The plus side to learning a DA pull is: when you're pretty good with a long DA pull you can be pretty good with about any trigger out there.

JDBerg

Hire an NRA instructor, focus on that front sight, learn sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger control. Learn the proper grip & a stance that works for you. Everyone else is irrelevant until you learn this stuff, and then practice it repetitively until you get yourself into a good shooting groove, and everything falls into place mentally and physically.

raimius

This is a training issue, not an equipment one.

A lighter, shorter, single-action trigger will help mask some of your errors, but only proper practice will fix them.

armedleo

If you like your double action revolver try the Sig P290RS. It is DAO, subcompact 9mm single stack that has a 6 + 1 capacity or, with extended mag, 8 +1, which is really a lot of fire power in a very solid gun. The extended mag gives you a much better grip allowing for a place to put your pinky finger. Shoots like a big gun and accurate. Typical Sig quality with stainless steel nitron finish on a polymer frame. I carry it when not carrying the Sig P320 Compact.

dgludwig

QUOTE: I find the Glock's trigger spongy and "annoying". I can't nail it down any more than that.

Same here. As some have suggested, a "1911-ish" trigger pull as found in many pistols is a feature you might want to explore.

pax

The problem isn't the guns, and buying another one won't fix it.

The last time I said something like this to somebody, I was roundly chastised on this forum. But it is still true, and it is still the most helpful advice I can give someone who is frustrated with their inability to hit the target:

Take. A. Class.

pax