Carry gun on a thin frame

Friar Whently

So I've recently purchased a Beretta 92fs (my first firearm) and love it. However, I'd like to take a CCW course and start carrying something. The problem is I'm a pretty thin guy at 6'0" and 130 lbs (read: beanpole), and I have a feeling that the Beretta would protrude like a tumor on me, regardless of the holster I have it in. Also, I prefer not to wear baggy shirts, which only adds to concealment problems.

SO...any recommendations on a carry gun for someone with such a small frame? I'd hate to spend the money on another gun intended for carry only to realize that it's still obvious that I'm packing. I'm even open to pocket guns...I don't wear tight pants.

spaniel

I'm a 2:28 marathoner so I know what it's like to try and conceal a gun when you are 5% body fat.

I carry a Glock 23, a Glock 26, and two different Taurus 85s. The largest is obviously the G23, but it is only a problem at all with a T-shirt and if I lean over, then the butt may print. The G26 is enough shorter that it typically will not print. The T85s are completely invisible.

Get quality IWB holsters, you will never conceal a gun on your waist any other way. Ideally try carrying in 4 o'clock, but you may have to rotate a little further behind you to keep the butt from printing.

1hogfan83

for winter carry get a glock 23, 19, 26, 27, yadda yadda and the list goes on. same with the M&PC. My personal favorite is the SW1911PD 4 1/2 and 28 ounces unloaded. hardly prints at all. 8 rounds of 45 power and an extra clip. if you need more than that, dont hang out in that neighborhood. summer carry, ruger LC9, Various kahr models, taurus 709 slim. you dont have to pack a brick of ammo to defend yourself (cough cough XDm).

Archie

What you want is a 'single stack' pistol

Which is, a pistol with a magazine only one 'stack' of cartridges thick.

Smith & Wesson still - I believe - makes some semi-automatic pistols in 9x19 following from the Model 39 bloodline. In fact, if you can find a decent Model 39, they are marvelous and very elegant pistols; thin of build and nicely assembled.

Ruger makes some very thin pistols these days. They make a .380 ACP something (sorry, I don't keep up with new guns all that well) that is remarkably thin.

However, whatever you use, you must look at yourself and blend the pistol and holster into the contours of your body. For instance, instead of putting the pistol on the point of the hip, move the holster to the rear - or front - so the angle between grip and slide 'flow' into the contour of your hip and short rib area.

It is an art form. A degree of insouciance also tends to conceal such items. Not that I can easily conjure up visions of an 'insouciant friar'.

When I was young I had the problem of being thin. I remember what I did on the subject. I miss those days. I now closely resemble Friar Tuck, but without the lightfooted grace he displayed.

Ichiban

You'll definitely want to go IWB. If you want to stick with an automatic look for something thin. I'm a 1911 fan and carry a bob-tailed commander even when wearing t-shirts and shorts. If you want to stick with 9mm look at the Ruger SR9 family - a slim, light, high capacity striker fired gun. Just my thoughts. There are lots of very fine handguns out there and it largely boils down to personal preference.

12GaugeShuggoth

Get quality IWB holsters, you will never conceal a gun on your waist any other way.

Add to that, get a good gun belt to go with the holster. A good belt will properly support the weight of the gun and holster, and will make concealing a much easier effort.

irish52084

Concealment is all about the holster and belt first, then the size of the gun second, within reason of course. Another thing to think about is the laws in your state on carry and if printing is of any legal concern. For example, I live in Washington state, open carry is legal here and printing of a concealed firearm is not considered brandishing.

I carry a full size CZ half the year and a 4" XD the rest of the year. I really only print with the full size when I bend over or twist. The 4" xd stays pretty well concealed no matter what I do. I carry IWB in a minotaur holster made by comp-tac, similar to the crossbreed supertuck. I also use a cheapo high noon leather IWB holster and it works just fine if I want something I can take on and off easily.

If you like the beretta, maybe try to get a carry gun that functions in close to the same manner, like a 92 compact or maybe a sig 229/239 etc... That way the function of the firearm is similar even though it's a smaller, lighter gun. I avoid really small carry guns, just because they are harder to use and shoot under stress. I'd rather have an occasion bulge than have to struggle with a tiny pocket gun. If you need your pistol, you may need it quickly and you need it to work and work well for you.

C0untZer0

Rohrbaugh R9

Kahr PM9 or CM9 - or the MK9. The MK9 is slightly smaller than the CMor PM but it's heavier because it's all steel.

stu925

I would look at some of the sub compact .380s. Bersa and Ruger make them and they seem well liked here. When I decided to get my wife a handgun I took her shopping and she picked a Sig 232 which is a nice little gun that I can't seem to shoot without getting bit by the slide but I imagine it would conceal beautifully. You might look at the newish Ruger LC9 also if you want another 9mm or a 1911 in an officer's model (smaller grip frame and shorter barrel).

Stu

MLeake

Interestingly, my grandfather at his most beanpolish was 6'2" and 135lbs... I, OTOH, last weighed 130 in 7th or 8th grade, at 5'9". In the decades since, I've only gained 2 or 3 inches, but 80 or 90lbs....

Frankly, your biggest problem isn't your thinness, as (believe it or not) spare tires cause their own problems for concealment.

Your problem is that you don't want to alter your clothing style.

Aside from the Walther PPS, Ruger LC9, or Kahr PM9, this really puts you into the realm of .380 or .32 autos.

Have you looked at a SIG P238? Or a Kel-Tec P32?

Your problem is that you don't want to alter your clothing style
That's the biggest concern I see among newer folks. Carrying a gun means making some changes in your life. Sure, you can get one of those little pocket guns, but are you really going to be able to deploy it well enough if the unthinkable happens?

It's far better to adjust around a gun you shoot well than settle for one you don't.

Get quality IWB holsters, you will never conceal a gun on your waist any other way.
Not true. A couple of forum members have met me in person, and they've had the chance to bask in the pulchritudinous glow of my lanky frame. The can attest to my ability to conceal a service pistol in an OWB holster just fine. ;)

Demeanor goes a long way towards concealment. You may not have to switch hardware.

Shadi Khalil

I'm one of those that are not very willing to alter my dress to carry and it certainly limits what you can carry. I can still get away with carrying a decent sized IWB or OWB (with a jacket or zip up hoodie) but its not always the most comfortable. That's why these days, I usually pocket carry.

Kreyzhorse

Add to that, get a good gun belt to go with the holster. A good belt will properly support the weight of the gun and holster, and will make concealing a much easier effort.

+1. The most important part of your CCW foundation is a good leather gun belt supporting a good (I prefer) leather holster.

IWB or OWB is really up to you. Keep in mind though that if you carry any thing bigger than a small pocket gun you will still likely have to dress around the gun. Almost all of us modify our dress a bit to CCW. You don't have to buy a vest, but a loser button up shirt with a pattern on it will really help conceal your gun.

Jeff22

If you don't want to change the way you dress to conceal a handgun, then you might want to consider a S&W Chief Special (1-7/8th inch barrel) in a pocket holster, or an ankle holster.