Carry a Pistol ??

C7AR15

I will start off by stating that I have no military experience at all, none, zip, zero, zilch.

If you were in the Army, would you prefer to carry a Pistol (with an extra mag) or would you rather just carry your service rifle M4 with 2 or 3 extra mags of ammunition ??

I think I would be ditching the pistol in favour of more ammo. IMHO
( I don't know what the army dictates you carry )

What would you opt for ??

PS I would keep the Ka - Bar.

SIGSHR

Depends on your duty position. For a front line infantryman a pistol is really not that useful, for someone "in the rear with the gear" and whose hands are often full performing other duties, the pistol makes more sense. The M-1 Carbine was introduced for that reason. More punch and range than the pistol but less cumbersome than the rifle.

44 AMP

Staff
What would you opt for ??

Simply put, IT DOES NOT MATTER.

You will NOT have a choice. Your weapon WILL be what ever the TO&E says is should be. (Table of Organization & Equipment).

Your assigned duty will determine what weapon you are issued. YOU DON'T GET TO CHOOSE.

There is some flexibility in active combat, and smart commanders allow their troops some leeway, but outside of that, you will be issued a weapon, and that is the ONLY weapon you are authorized to carry.

If you are issued a rifle, carrying a handgun as well (and a private one, at that) is against regulations. As I mentioned, smart CO's will "not notice" in combat, but outside of that, you could get in trouble, even face charges, if the CO is a strict "by the book" type.

"Special operators" might get a choice, regular grunts don't.

Sevens

I also have zero military experience. My hat is off to those who do.

Knowing zero of the life, but posed with this question, yes... I am still carrying a handgun. I simply base this on my own day to day since 2008. A concealed handgun is a part of who I am, so one carried openly would be no extra bother, even if my military day to day was 80lbs of gear. No better backup in hostile places than a second firearm, so yes, a handgun on me if I get to decide, no question whatsoever.

C7AR15

Thanks 44 Amp

I forgot- the Army tells you what to think.

By the way, who does have a pistol issued to them ?.

sgms

I do not know what the weapons load is now but as I recollect I believe we had as a minimum load out our M-16, 2 ammunition pouches on web gear with 4 frag. grenades on the pouches, 3 maybe 4 bandoleers of magazines over the shoulders 2 or 3 smoke grenades in cargo pockets, and often carried extra belts for the M-60 gunners or a claymore mine. Those that had pistols had a belt or shoulder holster and a single 2 mag. pouch for reloads. I may well be wrong as we are talking several (read decades) years ago so I may not be remembering accurately. The load requirements also changed with what we were doing and we had a fair amount of leeway (most of the time) as to how much ammunition we wanted to carry for our 16.

rickyrick

I rarely contacted a pistol in my service, but I was issued one for certain tasks, then I turned it back in when the mission was over.

If I had to fight, M16/m4 for me.... if I had a choice, lol.

Been issued stuff I didn't want too.

If your M203 guy left the unit, then someone would have to fill that role.

I did volunteer for crew served weapons at every unit, that meant extra range trips and when setting up a new camp, I got to man a gun instead of putting up tents and unloading trucks.

ballardw

I will say that I used to have a few of my own mags with rifle ammo ready for a deployment after I found that an "emergency" deployment to Europe could mean being in country 2 or 3 days before getting to the (hopefully intact) ammo point.

rickyrick

I packed my own ammo for the gulf war.... we were going after million man army hardened by a decade of war with Iran (the sworn enemy of the 80s) ... I wanted to have more than my initial six magazines...

Long story short, didn't need but a few rounds and the extra got spewed into the Kuwaiti desert along with the mother load of battlefield pickups (didn't get to keep any:(..)

After that I never took extra

Old Bill Dibble

Simply put, IT DOES NOT MATTER.

You will NOT have a choice. Your weapon WILL be what ever the TO&E says is should be. (Table of Organization & Equipment).

Your assigned duty will determine what weapon you are issued. YOU DON'T GET TO CHOOSE.

There is some flexibility in active combat, and smart commanders allow their troops some leeway, but outside of that, you will be issued a weapon, and that is the ONLY weapon you are authorized to carry.

If you are issued a rifle, carrying a handgun as well (and a private one, at that) is against regulations. As I mentioned, smart CO's will "not notice" in combat, but outside of that, you could get in trouble, even face charges, if the CO is a strict "by the book" type.

"Special operators" might get a choice, regular grunts don't.

Well, err no it does, probably not, no, probably, probably, yes, no, definitely not, they will, indeed, maybe.

Firstly it does matter but; yes you probably won't have a choice. These things tend to change as you move up and down the flag pole. The higher up the pole you are the more options you tend to have. By the time I retired I could pretty much pick and choose out of whatever was available.

MTOE's cover what a unit gets. No matter what the MTOE says the commander is the one who decides what to do with what he has. He can pretty much give anyone whatever he feels they should have. A lot of units have standard way of issuing things but there are also a lot of non-standard things as well. He may do it by duty position or some other metric.

Privately owned weapons policies are set at pretty high level. A commander would have to be well above issuing authority of weapons (normally a Captain) to make such decisions. I don't know many commanders dumb enough to not follow such policies or allow soldiers to do whatever they think is best. Sounds like a good way to get hemmed up.

My last couple of tours I carried a rifle and a pistol. Everyone in my sub unit had a rifle and an issued pistol. In one especially rough tour my rifle I had a M203 under slung and I carried a pistol. The pistol was kind of useless other than it allowed me not to carry my rifle at time that might be inconvenient or inappropriate (say when meeting with a local sheik or doctors at a local hospital). The 203 was useful for smoke, flares and illumination rounds.

I trained in transition fire but never had to use it. I would have to have expended well over 200 rounds and not had any more near by to switch to the pea shooter. The one time I had to employ my pistol the rifle was miles away. Everything you ever heard about not taking a pistol to a rifle fight is true.

Never used a KBAR, they gave me a bayonet, never could figure out what it was for but it stayed in the bottom of my duffle bag and never left it.

So back to the OP's question... If we are just talking combat with some of my closest friends around me then I'd rather have more ammo. I'd get rid of the knife and the pistol and have more magazines. For the realities of going on a long tour in a long war I'd rather have the pistol.

jasmith85

I too have no military experience whatsoever. That said, it seems to me like having the back up weapon would be worth the loss of some extra ammo for the primary weapon. What if your primary weapon is out of commission for some reason?

44 AMP

Staff
I too have no military experience whatsoever.

Which is why it is understandable that you expect things to make sense. :D

first thing you need to understand is that the military's priorities are NOT the same as you or I as private citizens.

While there is some leeway and no matter what the standard rules are, the local commander can change many of them, if he sees a need, or a benefit, in general the rules are to contribute to the success of the mission, benefit the military overall, and meet the needs (not desires) of the soldiers, usually in that order.

There are uncountable stories from wars past how a pistol (especially an unauthorized private one) was a great comfort and sometimes life saving item, despite it not being officially allowed. Documented cases of pistols & revolvers being carried, and used when needed, and being "passed on" to other members of the unit when the owner went home. Especially in the Pacific.

rickyrick

Things loosen some while in a combat zone.

We always had extra weapons, it was rare in my day that any unit was fully manned. We also armorers at the unit level and a hierarchy of maintenance levels.

One deployment I had to haul around one of the extra guns, because the weapons racks were not at our location (no secure storage) so I was issued at the same time and place an M4 and an m16. Interestingly it must have been a spare from times past because the lower was marked XM16. I was told it had been a prototype that was MWO'ed to M16 standards. The amorer told me this... but then they say lots of things.

SC4006

What if your primary weapon is out of commission for some reason?

Then the other riflemen, saw gunners, and M240 gunners have your back until you can figure it out. In some circumstances having a pistol as a sidearm certainly could help, but for the most part it would be much more useful/important to either get your primary weapon functioning, or get another.

Skans

I'm not in the military, and the only rifle I've ever carried is my Savage 30-06 when hunting. It's kind of heavy and I don't particularly like carrying it, except when hunting. Other than that, I much prefer to carry a handgun. I can only dream about a handful of scenarios where I would ever carry anything other than a handgun.