Carpal Tunnel surgery

TunnelRat

The closest I came to that was removal of a cyst that had spread from my wrist to my hand.

Do you mean recreationally or in an emergency situation? I was able to hold things with some force within a week. But I had pain and stiffness that lasted a month, plus the stitches I didn't want to pull.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Not carpal tunnel, but several years ago I had my left hand operated on to repair Dupuytren's Contracture. The surgery affects the fascia tissue under the skin in the palms of the hands. I imagine the surgery is somewhat similar to carpal tunnel surgery. (Not sure about that.)

Mine was a number of years ago, and I don't remember just how long it took to more or less recover. I know it was considerably longer than six weeks, because that's what they told me the recovery would be before the operation. After six weeks had gone by and I couldn't use the hand, they said, "No, no -- we told you six months." (No, they told me six weeks.) I'd say six months is probably what it took me to regain about 90 percent use of the hand.

Ben Dover

I had both hands done.

I stayed away from the range for about 2 weeks, and stayed away from snubbies and magnums for about a month.

I'm sure I was being overly cautious, but I had experienced so much pain BEFORE the surgery that I wouldn't take any chances..

TunnelRat

I would add that if your insurance will cover it, physical or occupational therapy can really help. My surgeon led me to believe I wouldn't need it, and having it greatly accelerated my recovery (once I realized how stiff my hand was afterwards).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bottom Gun

I had a carpal tunnel release done and didn't shoot for about a month. When I started shooting again, there was no discomfort.

wbbh

About a month, I followed the Doctor's recommendation about holding anything heavy. My palm was a bit tender for quite a while gradually returning to normal over about six months.

Now a year to so later I am very happy with the result. I'm back to shooting 50ish rounds of .45 ACP every week and shooting my Contender in .41 Mag and my single shot 7mm-08 pistol.

Jeryray

Great news. My .22 matches end just before the surgery, my CF matches are at 4 weeks after.

I'll let you guys know.

lefteye

I'm 72 and have Dupuytren's Contracture in both hands. I've never had surgery for that condition. I have had carpel tunnel release surgery on both hands and thumb joint reconstruction on both hands. The surgeries were many years ago. I don't even remember how long I was unable to shoot a handgun, rifle, shotgun or compound bow but eventually I was able to successfully use all of my firearms and my bows to hunt.

Jeryray

Thanks for the info.

I am curious, my Hand surgeon, says he can't do anything with the thumb.

I used to be able to cock my k38 hammer. Can't reach up to do it anymore..

What did you have done, was it just pain, or restricted movement?

lefteye

I assume you are referring to my thumb surgery. The surgeon cut about a single 90 degree curve on the wrists and thumbs. The length of each of the incisions was about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches. This surgery was so long ago I don't remember if there were casts or just bandages and wraps. I don't remember how long I was unable to use either hand but the first was healed and strength was returned before the surgery on the other hand. I would have been nearly helpless if the surgeries had been on the same day (or week or month)! I don't know what caused the original pain but the pain caused me to want the relief that the surgery would ultimately provide. My thumbs have been a little weaker but the surgery did eliminate the pain and allow me to use my thumbs almost as though the surgery was never required or performed. :)

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

I had carpal tunnel surgery. It was only partially effective. The scar remains uncomfortable to this day. I would only consider surgery if you are having significant problems and you have exhausted all other alternatives. If you need the surgery, talk to your doctor about your hobbies and ask about the method that doesn't leave a big scar inside your palm where various grips will press.

Jacket67

As Cosmodragoon mentioned, the release surgery is only slightly effective. All it does is snip the ligament that runs over the nerves and tendons letting pressure off the problematic nerve. If possible, I would try and treat it conservatively via physical or occupational therapy. If that is not an option and you truly need the surgery to treat your condition, then I would definitely see a therapist post-op to help regain strength and range of motion. Speaking as a Doctor of Physical Therapy student. Good luck with everything.

Jeryray

Thanks for all the replies.
I appreciate it.
I'm getting shots for the last five years..
It's time to try to fix this before it's too late.
I'll keep in touch the operation is on the 11th.
Let's hope I can get my strength back plus I needed for my work in my shooting.

A lot of things we can buy but not our health unfortunately we find that out more too old, but there's not much we can do about it

Cosmodragoon

Thanks for all the replies.
I appreciate it.
I'm getting shots for the last five years..
It's time to try to fix this before it's too late.
I'll keep in touch the operation is on the 11th.
Let's hope I can get my strength back plus I needed for my work in my shooting.

A lot of things we can buy but not our health unfortunately we find that out more too old, but there's not much we can do about it
I went through the shots too. Are you having open or endoscopic surgery? The latter can leave a lot less scar tissue in relevant areas but not every doctor offers it. I really wish I had gone that route.

My doctor talked me out of it because the open surgery is simpler. As I said, the surgery was only partially effective. Years later, the big scar and tenderness around the scar continues to be a problem. It's impossible to predict the future but this forum is for a hobby where we use our hands. Since surgery is permanent, it's worth exploring this stuff.

Bottom Gun

I’ve had a total of three releases done on both wrists.

My first procedure was done by endoscopic surgery. Ten years later, I had to have that same wrist re-done by open surgery. The open surgery was no more painful than the endoscopic procedure and healed just as quickly. Actually, I think I healed from the open surgery a bit faster.
I had an open surgery release on my other wrist soon afterward.

I can’t see any scar whatsoever on the wrist that was done once by open surgery. I do have a faint scar from the revision surgery on the wrist that required two procedures. The scar doesn’t bother me at all.

If I were doing it again, I would choose the open surgery. The surgeon told me that open surgery can usually be more thorough than endoscopic surgery.

R.A.N.G.E.R

Had the endoscopic surgery on one wrist ~45 days ago. They told me to expect about 6 months to regain full strength - I’d asked about grasping, pulling, squeezing,and twisting with it, my primary hand.

After a month and a half, strength is returning, but if you do too much before it heals back you can delay the ultimate healing and cause more scar tissue to form than would otherwise, possibly leading to even more time to heal. PT is a great idea. I think a bit of light shooting will be ok after a couple of months, but I’d stay away from competing, and playing frisbee.....

In fact, right now, their recommendation is to hold no more than the weight of a cup of coffee, or about 1 pound. I’ll say that you learn a lot about trying to use your off side to do things. My left is nowhere near as strong nor as capable as my right was. OTOH, given the pain that kept me up at night, and that eventually stearoid injections begin to destroy tissue if repeated too many times, Id do the surgery again.

Mark_Lee

Guess it depends upon the severity and the doctor. After years of keying (IT is my profession) I had both wrists done about 15 years ago. Typical symptoms for me included not being able to sleep more than 4 or 5 hours without it waking me up and when driving if I put my hand on top of the wheel it would go numb in 5 minutes. My doctor did the surgery thru the bottom of my wrist, told me to let pain be my guide, andIi was pretty much back to normal after 30 days, shooting again after 8 weeks. Immediate relief after surgery of my symptoms. Wish I hadn't waited so long to have it done. I've never had any other symptoms so you should be able to look forward to a complete recovery if all goes well.

R.A.N.G.E.R

That’s encouraging, Mark Lee, thanks. I’m waiting to get the 2nd side done until I get full strength after the first surgery. Same thing lead me to it, and I resisted as long as I could, even putting it off one time, but the pain keeping me from sleeping and from so many activities was the game-changer! I hear about folks doing both wrists at once, and I guess they have very good support systems around them. OTOH, I’m continuing to move from my old house this whole time, haha. It’s been exquisite timing. I’m looking forward to getting back to the range.

Last edited:
Not sure about the carpal tunnel, but I've had surgeries on both hands.

My right trigger finger once, then years later my right thumb.

Then my left hand just over the knuckles.

Today I have little to no limitations. I wish you the best of luck.