Carbon steel (Blued) Vs. Stainless Steel

Doug 29

At one time, there was a lot of talk about stainless steel guns having more problems than blued carbon steel guns. Difficulty of machining stainless, etc. To be honest, if I have my choice, I'll take a blued gun every time. Any opinions out there?

M

M58

I like a nice blue job better; but for daily use a stainless is easier. IMHO

C.R.Sam

I don't mind doin corrosion control on my tools..I prefer blued steel guns for their greater strength and durability. I also don't want a shiny carry piece, spooks the herd quicker. Have lived in equatorial tropics and on Puget Sound......my blued guns did just fine.

Sam...donning my nomex.

slow

IMHO SS guns are easier to clean and are better in high humidity for rust resistance and I have never had any performance issues with my stainless guns

Ledbetter

For people who fall down

Stainless guns are for clumsey people like me who tend to drop, scratch and otherwise put little marks in their tools that add "character."

Either material is excellant for firearms. The true advantage of stainless is that you won't ever need to reblue it. Like its carbon steel counterpart, stainless must be serviced and oiled lest it rusts (and it's not a pretty sight).

JNewell

From the manufacturers' point(s) of view, one of the advantages of stainless is that it doesn't involve the environmentally nasty chemicals that bluing requires (nor the extra steps to blue carbon steel). I think this is part of why most major handgun manufacturers' lines have gone mostly to stainless, although consumer demand is certainly another reason for the shift.

dreadnaught

JNewell, I talked a Smith & Wesson rep last spring and he said they quit making the purty blue ones for the reasons you listed. I almost cried.

Valdez

For carry and possible exposure to sweat I much prefer stainless steel. However I really prefer dark guns for concealed carry. This is why I'm checking into Robar and other places that say they can turn a stainless black, and they claim it actually improves corrosion resistance.

K-9

For me,stainless is more practical. In my experience,the newer finishes on Sigs (for example) do not wear well. IMHO,it would be hard to find a better-looking gun than an old Python or an old Model 27 with their polished blue finishes. I wonder how many people would be willing to pay extra for that? I would.

sw627pc

From the manufacturing point of view, good blue jobs require entirely too much HAND work. Mostly in the polishing. (The real secret to the great blue job is the polishing done before bluing). I prefer the looks of a good blue gun. The SS is more practical for daily carry though. While it does still require some corrosion protection it isn't nearly as vulnerable to weather, perspiration, etc. as the blued guns.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I had a Colt's Detective Special. An old one, with an unshrouded ejector rod and the most gorgeous Royal Blue finish you could imagine. I don't know how many special Bluing Gnomes had to be paid to hand polish that thing with imported silk hankies by the light of a full moon, but it was worth it.

On the other hand, just about every street cop I know in an urban or suburban area prefers a stainless CCW gun for their greater "presence". As one police officer friend of mine said, to justify toting a .44 Mountain Gun off-duty: "When you pull a 4" stainless N-frame out of nowhere, you have everyone's undivided attention; there is no doubt in anyone's mind that 'That man has a gun!'". I'll have to agree; it's hard to find a firearm more imposing to be on the wrong end of than a 625, without moving to slide-action smoothbores...

Doug 29

Sorry I wasn't clearer, but I wasn't referring to rust or appearances. I meant mechanical problems. Stainless guns did have some functioning problems. As for rust, I've never had rust on a blued gun! And I only occasionally wipe them with a dry cloth. But some people do have more acid in their sweat. Stainless guns will rust, but it takes work to make that happen! I seem to need to fire a few hundred jacketed rounds in my stainless guns to achieve the best accuracy. A need to "polish" the barrel.

BigG

I think

the blue carbon revolvers and automatics shoot a little better than stainless, at least at first until the S/S bore polishes up. Most of mine of either kind shoot better than I do.

my 2 cents

I like the looks of stainless steel pistols MUCH better than blued pistols. Rusting is not a reason I buy SS more than blue (SS rusts too if not cared for). It is just a personal (looks) preference for me.

Poodleshooter

I love the blueing on my old model Super Blackhawk. After a long day hunting, when it's been in a shoulder holster near sweat and possibly rain, bluing is too quick to rust. Finishes such as the dark blue/grays available on the new Taurus titanium guns seem to be the best balance of rust resistance and good looks IMHO.

sw627pc

Doug,

When SS guns were brand new on the market there were some problems (mostly with actions - the early alloys used were "grainy" and wouldn't really polish smooth like carbon steel does). Much of this has become old history though. I have SS guns that have just as smooth an action as the blued equivalents. I personally just like the looks. I have a 1961 Python and a 1971 M27-2 that just flat LOOK better to me. As far as operation I can't tell that much difference between the 27-2 and the 627PC (other than the two extra rounds in the PC gun).

Doug 29

sw627pc

Bob,

You must be right! I just checked out two new Model 629's at the range. The quality was EXCELLENT. Both were very tight and the double action trigger pulls ran about 12 1/2 lbs, and were butter smooth. Single action ran about 3 1/2 - 4 lbs. and crisp.