car gun safe recommendation

chupps

I'm looking for a car gun safe that will accommodate a SW 686 6" barrel and Makarov. Any ideas? Thanks

Shadow9mm

Couple questions
Why are you planning on leaving your gun in your vehicle?
what are you considering a safe? a metal lock box?
what kind of vehicle
where in the vehicle are you planning to put it?
how do you plan to attach it to the vehicle so someone just does not walk off with the "safe"

Sharkbite

I have a lockbox bolted under the seat of my Jeep Wrangler. Uses the seat bolts to attach it to the vehicle. I forget the make…but a google search should turn up something.

Big enough to hold a fullsize M&P in a holster and a cpl spare mags, no problem.

ChasHam

Curious-- what would be the purpose of a gun safe in a car?

With car break-ins and thefts common, police routinely advise against storing a gun in your car. And if you're in the car, ihe gun is no use to you if it's locked and inaccessible.

FAS1

Curious-- what would be the purpose of a gun safe in a car?

With car break-ins and thefts common, police routinely advise against storing a gun in your car. And if you're in the car, ihe gun is no use to you if it's locked and inaccessible.

It's very common for people to not be able to carry their gun in GFZ's like work and still want to have their handgun to and from and anywhere they might go on the way home. GFZ's create most of the need to leave your gun in a vehicle.

Like you, I would never just keep a gun in a vehicle all the time. In the case of GFZ's the added security of a good quality handgun safe bolted down will be much better than a locked car as we know that's very easy to break in.

Be weary of those small thin steel clamshell type cabled lock boxes if this is something you do regularly. They won't slow anyone down from getting your gun, but are probably OK for the occasional brief trip to the post office, etc.

ballardw

Be weary of those small thin steel clamshell type cabled lock boxes if this is something you do regularly. They won't slow anyone down from getting your gun, but are probably OK for the occasional brief trip to the post office, etc.

But a moderately obvious one with something inside to rattle like a gun makes a good distraction for someone attempting a "quick" break in and grab.

FAS1

But a moderately obvious one with something inside to rattle like a gun makes a good distraction for someone attempting a "quick" break in and grab.

Brilliant! A distraction from the real find. I would just use that one to put a bunch of pennies inside. :D

ChasHam

It's very common for people to not be able to carry their gun in GFZ's like work and still want to have their handgun to and from and anywhere they might go on the way home. GFZ's create most of the need to leave your gun in a vehicle.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that scenario...it certainly would be good to have then.