Captive or non?

American4guns

Can anyone tell the benefit of non captive guide rods VS captive ,besides the easier recoil spring change.Also has anyone noticed a big difference between the tungsten and the stainless guide rods?What guide rod and weight spring has resulted in better performance.I own the G19

tulsamal

I just bought a standard weight non-captive for my G35. Also the SS rod. Yes, the captive is easier to take in and out. You have to be careful putting a non-captive in a G35. I wanted to go to a metal guide rod. I wanted to be able to try several different weights, especially once I get a conversion barrel for .357 SIG. So I decided to go non-captive.

Gregg

Handy

There is no performance difference. Captive springs are used to make take down simpler and more foolproof. Once the springs are in the gun, the gun can't tell a difference.

I prefer non-captive because you can clean them easier, but it certainly isn't something that would cause me to change out one part for another.

Really, a non-issue.

American4guns

what about guide rod weight?i read that (dont believe everthing you read)
the heavier guide rod helps muzzle rise.I cant belive it would be much of an impact though

Handy

Any weight on the muzzle end decreases muzzle rise - which is why some people use tungsten guide rods.

But those people are worrying about .01s of a second for gaming.