cap n' ball fun

bamaranger

Memorial Day, a shooting pal and and I broke out our percussion revolvers and had at it. I'd wanted an 1860 Army for years, bought a well used one back before spring turkey season, and finally got to shoot it yesterday.

Total of 24 rounds each fired, and I think we spent nearly 3 hrs doing it! Load was 25-30 gr of FFFg and my self cast .454" balls. We covered the charge holes with Bore Butter, 'cause it's what we had. I forgot the Crisco.

My Pietta shot 9-10" high at 15 yds, his faux Griswald (in .44) was about 6" high. Both our revolvers shot well windage wise. Both his old brass framed gun, and my steel Pietta, performed flawlessly for 12 rds, two cylinders. Then assorted issues cropped up, mostly related to fouling and odd caps. Cap jams were not as much an issue as I expected, but the #11's on hand were not ideal. With my present cones, I will need to use a CCI #10 cap and my cap shedding issues should diminish. Accuracy was acceptable, one handed 15 yd groups could be covered by the hand, and a 10" gong was no problem once we figured out how low to hold. I intend to tweak the hammer on my Pietta at some point for a 25 yd zero.

We had a tremendously good time. My first go with cap n' ball revolvers,. of which I have been fascinated with since childhood. Even with our modest 25 gr loads, I was surprised as to how much gun we had. Blast and recoil was satisfying, and the steel targets testified to how hard those lead balls were hitting.

State of the art in 1860, and very entertaining over 150 years later!!:D

Last edited:

armoredman

Welcome to your newest addiction. The Holy Black gets in your blood, it does, and never lets go. ;) The traditional revolver sight is set for an astonishing 75 yards, which I have never tried, myself.
Put bore butter on the arbor for better work around fouling. BTW, 30 grains is a bit much for a brasser, just fine with steel frame.
I know a guy in Arizona who works on black powder revolvers and can make that old 1860 purr like a kitten.

Who knows where else this will lead you... ;)

EjImjau.jpg

JX6ERFg.jpg

The 1860 Army is a great revolver for enjoying as a C&B or even carrying for serious purpose. Time was a few decades back I was running low on funds and has pawned or sold off most of my modern guns and was left with an 1860 Army. I had chopped the barrel to 6" so it would carry well tucked into my waistband and I had it loaded with 180 grain Buffalo Bore "conicals" over all the powder I could compress underneath! That thing would blow a liquid-filled gallon paint can wide open!

I have a Ruger Old Army that I haven't shot in years but I have a supply of cast 200 grain bullets for it - it's simply too big to ever consider carrying. I've considered squandering the $$$ to buy a cartridge conversion for it, but I don't want to end up with a weaker load!

I also have a genuine Colt Pocket I picked up about 25 years ago when Colt was selling them mail order. It has the silver trigger frame and signature Colt markings everywhere. I've shot it with Cleanshot BP substitute and it's a nice little gun that basically lives in it's presentation case with tiny powder flask and percussion cap tin.

armoredman

I would kill a small animal for a Ruger Old Army...just sayin'...
While the 1858 is HUGE compared top modern handguns, I have a holster and belt for it, and while I would VASTLY prefer something more modern, like, say, a Colt 1903, I would be slightly calmer knowing that I can hit what I aim at with this old smoke wagon.

44 Dave

I have a Colt '03 and would choose a'60 or '51 if I wanted to hit anything. For me
I keep my London '51 or a '60 Army loaded the '03 is empty and on the shelf.

Doc Hoy

Armoredman

Your description brings back memories. I have not shot cap and ball for about 15 years (focusing on BPCR). But I remember wondering about using the 1860 Colt in actual combat. I think that infantrymen were issued 60 musket rounds. I do not know about pistol ammunition.

Present day shooters have come up with a mix for lubricant which I think is 50/50 beeswax and mutton tallow. I think there is historical support for this mix. I use 50/50 beeswax and lard even on BPCR bullets. But shooting in VA and now in FL where the days are hot caused the lube to quickly turn into a thin greasy schmootz. This is the reason I swore off "Bore Butter" as it smells bad and won't stay put.

When you were finished shooting was your face black and your fingers greasy?

armoredman

No, not really, some on the hands, but nothing a little water got rid of. I need to start using lube pills like described on castboolits. I have tried paper cartridges with beeswax lube on them, but I have to up the olive oil as it cracks off too easily. I also didn't overdo the BB - Arizona is a dry heat. ;)
We use lubed patches with the long guns and that seems to work just fine.