cap and ball vs steel targets

BlackPowderBen

I was wondering if anyone here shoots A36 steel targets with cap and ball revolvers. Would A36 5/16" wide steel targets be suitable? I know that A36 3/8" wide steel works fine for handguns. It's only a 1/16" difference...

g.willikers

It kind of depends on the cap and ball load.
A full one from a Walker or a light one from a .36.
If this is any clue,
I use 3/8" thick steel targets (Birchwood Casey World of Targets for center fire) with 200 grain .45s at 850 f/s and there's nary a mark on them, other than some paint damage.
Hard to imagine a 1/16th inch less thickness would matter.

freedom475

My 350yrd offhand target is 3/8"...not high dollar AR plate either....Just steel, not sure what kind, but budget surely played into the steel grade because it is a big target.

I shoot it with 550gr pointed money bullets out of my 45-90 sharps all the time and it is holding very well.

You should be just fine with a cap&ball....Walker or Patterson...won't make a difference. If you ever decide you want to shoot the 5/16 plate with a 357 or a 44mag. you will dent it...LOL

bedbugbilly

Well . . . if he CAN hit a target that narrow . . . he's no only a good man and a good shot . . . but I'm betting he'll take 1st place about every time in the match whee you split a ball on a double bitted axe head and break the targets on both sides! :eek::)

BlackPowderBen

Ha! You'll catch me saying stuff like that sometimes! well the 5/16" 'thick' targets were great for cap and ball! three 8" round plates for $16! Can't go wrong there!

maillemaker

Thanks! These guys laser cut them so we could do a variety of shapes.

I am looking at making re-usable targets for N-SSA competition.

Steve