Canted barrel

headroom

I've got an old marlin model 40 i recently picked up and the barrel is canted off to the right side so the sights are off a few degrees. it just looks like the barrel is not set right in the action. Any body know how the barrel is removed?

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Headroom, it's threaded so you might be able to straighten the sights by tightening a little but be careful. Before you do anything to that rifle you might look a little into it's value. There were very few made that were marked Mod.40. It became the 27S shortly after they began production. George

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Headroom, it's threaded so you might be able to straighten the sights by tightening a little but be careful. Before you do anything to that rifle you might look a little into it's value. There were very few made that were marked Mod.40. It became the 27S shortly after they began production. I'd contact the Marlin Collector's Assoc at 407 Lincoln Bldg, 44 Main St., Champaign, IL 61820. George

headroom

George,
this model 40 is a coast to coast model, with the little c2c emblem on the barrel. The rifle looks like somebody tried to mess around with it before and that is where i think the sights getting moved. Both sights, front and rear, are canted and i would kind of like to straighten them out because it may be a little while before i put a scope on it.

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Headroom, in that case it's a Marlin 99C. These barrels are held in place by a pin that runs through the receiver and a groove cut in the bottom of the shank. This will be a little more difficult to align than one that is threaded. It can be done. The groove would have to be filled and recut on the exact opposite of the sights. For everyone who worries about heat warping barrels and what not. That's what heat stop paste is for. George