Can't wait til Christmas... Remington 673

shooter_john

I have been wanting/ needing a "hunting rifle" for a while now to give me a break from all of my heavy barrel guns. But I also wanted something unique, and a unique cartridge as well. I had decided on the CZ 550FS in 6.5x55, but the money was a little much for one of those guys. So last night I was cruising gunbroker and stumbled onto this Remington 673 Guide Gun in 6.5 Remington Magnum, brand new for $450!!! It fills my 'unique' niche, I love the 6.5/ .264's and best of all the wife said I could have it for Christmas! Now I want to find a low/ mid power scope and some quick detach rings, and get some load data ready.

Anyone with experience with the 6.5 Rem Mag or the 673, please feel free to chime in!

jac673

Like you, I also think that the 673 is a great rifle. I've got one in each of the offered calibers. The stock proprotions are a great fit for me and I love the look of the vent rib. The 350RM and the 308 shoot into an inch at 100 without a problem with factory ammo. My 300SAUM is still in the box - waiting for some attention. The 6.5 RM shot well, about an inch, but I wanted better. So, I did some handloading work for it and found that H4831 is the powder of choice for high velocity and accuracy. I was able to get slightly better velocities with IMR7828, but it burned very dirty and so I stopped working with it. I can get velocities with the H4831 with 140 gr bullets(2900 to 3000 fps) that approach or meet factory 264 WM in the same bullet weight. For 120 gr bullets, you should be able to duplicate factory velocities(about 3200 fps).

I just bedded my 6.5RM 673 and am looking forward to testing it. I'm hoping to get it shooting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups.

Good luck with your baby.

crghss

Why a 6.5mm Rem Mag?

Why do you think Remington chambered this in a 6.5mm Rem Mag? Why not a .264 win mag?

Is your rifle a new one?

shooter_john

Apparently the 6.5 Rem Mag (and the .350 Rem Mag) were the very first 'short magnum' cartridges available, and were designed the Remington 600(designed in the 1960's?), which is the predecessor to the 673. According to what I've read Remington re-introduced the rifle in 2003 in the original cartridges (6.5 RM and .350 RM) as well as a few others as a nostalgic commemorative.

I reload, and components for the 6.5 Rem Mag appear rather inexpensive and abundant at Midway, so why not, and I have also seen the loaded stuff at the local Bas Pro. I just think it is kinda neat, a cartridge and rifle design that is twice my age, and NO ONE I know has one of either the rifle or cartridge. Gotta dig the ribbed barrel and fin sight.

And yes... the rifle is New in Box.