can't own gov't marked weapons?

Kaylee

Howdy!

I was just reading a quick history on the 1911, trying to figure out some of the quirks on my new toy. Site is here:

http://usgi1911.tripod.com/history.html

Anyhow, I ran across a line that surprised me:
Since at the time civilian possession of a government-marked weapon was illegal many of these new owners had the "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" markings ground off and refinished.

What law was this, when (and why) was it passed, and when was it removed? It seems the epitome of anti-second legislation, and I'm curious how it came to be.

Anyone know?

-K

yankytrash

When did it start ?
When was it stopped ?
Still going on today.

You can't own weapons marked "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" when it's still owned by the United States. Get it? You might be able to sign it out to borrow it, but you don't actually own it.

You can't have the weapon until it's officially decommissioned.

Grandpappy had to file the US property markings because it was still a commissioned/issued weapon, and he "lost it" in combat.;)

I would imagine the paperwork for lost weapons is much less ball-breaking than a request to transfer a particular weapon to your personal ownership.

Kharn

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) sold 1911s, Garands, Carbines and all sorts of surplused military arms a while back for dirt cheap prices (now they only have Garands and the occasional Springfield). I dont think they removed the "Prop of US Govt" markings, but I could be wrong.

Kharn

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
I don't know what law that would have been that outlawed the private ownership of firearms marked as .gov property.

Perhaps an enquiring email to the webmaster of the site would yield the answer you seek, Kaylee.

yankytrash

Umm, ok, one more time, only slower.;)

All issue weapons for the military say something to the effect of "UNITED STATES PROPERTY".

While that weapon is still deemed to be usable by the military, it stays commissioned in the military. While the weapon is commissioned, it cannot leave the military, unless there are special circumstances that aren't relevant here.

Now, when the weapon is deemed out-of-date, worn-out, or unsafe in any way, then it is decommissioned. It will be scrapped as surplus, and full-automatic recievers are demilled. The entire guns or parts lie around in a US warehouse for parts or emergency issuance. It will still say "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" on it, but it is decommissioned, ie off the government's inventory list.

Slowly but surely, these warehouses are emptied, whether by CMP requests, need the room, or what have you. Then we lowly civilians get to own them, even though it still has the US property marking on it.

Grandpappy was filing off the US property marks on his issued weapon because he told his sargeant that he lost it in the jungle, because he knew he'd have to turn it back in at the end of his tour. Out in public, he was too paranoid to show his issue weapon for fear he'd get caught by the government stealing their property.

What this amounts to isn't an actual law about not owning "UNITED STATES PROPERTY"-marked weapons, it's about stealing government property (no offense to grandpappy intended).

Hkmp5sd

In case you don't believe yankytrash, ATF's Curio & Relic list includes many guns marked "United States Property" along with models marked as belonging to assorted law enforcement agencies. So yes, you can own a gun marked as such.

yankytrash

An interesting note to Hkmp5sd's statement -

My delegate is currently patroning a bill to let LEOs in Virginia buy their issued firearms when they retire for only $1 a piece.

Goodonhim!!:)