Cant hold it steady

timothy75

I shoot rabbits in the summer around 100-200 yards usually. Last summer I took 130 shots and only got 30 rabbits. I was using a scoped 3-9 bolt action and plan to do so again this summer. There is no support in the desert so all my shots were offhand or kneeling. I went out today and found I couldnt hold the cross hairs in a 3 inch circle at 25 yards for more than a second at a time. I was able to hit the circle three times in a row but it took about five minutes for just the three shots. I also had an iron sighted winchester 92 with me and was able to make the same 3 shots in about 15 seconds. I'm frustrated because the bolt gun is capable of 4 times the range of the levergun but I dont seem to be able to utilize it because I cant hold it steady. I figured scoped bolt action sporters would be the best rifle for small game at medium range but its not working out too well. Are scopes harder to use than irons offhand? Any advise? Am I using the wrong tool for the job?

OLNfan

all I can say is bring em both try it out! I would say that it is a tad easier using iron sights than a scope, but the lever actions are very versatile use it to your advantage. whats the worst that can happen by packing two rifles in your truck? nothing lol see what you find that works for you. I perfer iron sights for some odd reason and it hasnt screwed me over yet. But I would suggest maybe getting a bi pod on your rifle or even get one of those stading bi pods like this. 2 different kinds in this picture.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410HgOuXT1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Iv never desert hunted but I dont imagen you leave to far where it wouldnt be a hastle to have that with you. (I would never buy one, figure I could make a much nicer one out of wood if I felt the need to have one, wouldnt be a bad investment I would say espically since their like 50 bucks cdn..so 25-30 american?

Last edited:

banditt007

try buying a good rifle sling. the one that you detach from part of the rifle wrap around the upper part of your arm. research it, and its proper use, it will aid you a lot in a steady hold. also you could check into bringing shooting sticks with you in the desert.

kraigwy

Cant hold it steady

You just need to work on your positions. The CMP Bookstore sells the USAMU Service Rifle Guide for $6.95. Its about the best book out there regarding rifle shooting.

You'd be suprised how well the offhand (or standing position) used in High Power works for offhand shooting in hunting situations.

I was a law enforcement instructor as well as coach for the AK NG rifle team. When teaching LE enforcement officers the tend to want to lean forward and get into some gawd awful unbalanced position. I never say one yet that didnt improve when I got them to stand up straight and balanced.

If you were to watch the International Sniper Compititions on the Military Channel, you'll see them shooting off hand as taught to high power shooters.

Dave R

I do some similar varmit hunting, where the ability to hold still is the limiting factor in how far I can get hits. Two things that have helped me hold steadier:

1. Shooting sticks or equivalent. I use a Stoney Point expedition, I believe. I can get real steady using that as a rest.

2. Master the sitting position. I can get a lot steadier there than I can with kneeling or offhand, or even prone. Could be because I use it more often than other positions. But it works for me. Let's you brace both elbows, which steadies both arms quite a bit.

bobn

another good tip> if you feel you cant hold motionless, instead try making circles on the target. the more you practice the smaller the circles get. start your trigger squeeze and try firing at bottom of the circle. bobn

Buzzcook

A sling would be my choice. But proper form will help you a lot. No matter how good you are a few pointers from a coach will help.

BigV

I shoot lots and lots of ground hogs here in Ohio. Adjustable steady sticks are used when slowly walking and taking shots from the standing position or a Harris bipod when sitting.

T. O'Heir

A scope will let you see your wobble more. Iron sights don't.
This a .22? Have you tried a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best, then sight in? If you're not reloading, you'll have to do it with centre fire as well.
A sling(doesn't have to be the target style banditt007 describes) or a shooting stick(one will do) will help steady you. Off hand practice shooting will too.

L_Killkenny

Practice and dry firing will definitely help but for god's sake, get a rest. IMO, shooting targets without a rest when you don't have to isn't very smart. It doesn't have to be much. A simple walking stick, shooting sticks, bipod, tree, fence post, etc. There is absolutely no reason to not use something. 99% of shooters out there will never be able to consistently hit small targets at ranges over 50 yards without a rest. Why do you think that "small bore silhouette" shooting is such a challenge. And those guys are some of the best shooters around.

chris in va

You don't want to hold the crosshairs on your target. Instead, 'walk' it horizontally toward the 10 ring, pull trigger just as it cuts across.

Thought about a red dot?

garryc

It's called target panic. You can see those bumps and weaves and you try to comensate so much you get in a sort of loop.