Can't get my Kimber to malf

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
I've had a Kimber Classic Gold Match for a few months now. The first couple of hundred rounds throught the weapon produced about four or five failures to feed. I was not pleasedl-visions of having to send it back to the factory were running through my head. Since then I've shot about a thousand rounds through it with no problems attributable to the handgun. I recently ran about five hundred rounds through it of several different varieties without cleaning it. (This was over a three day period where I was seriously pressed for time) Not a single malfunction.
I went back to the range today and shot a hundred rounds of Georgia Arms 230gr. Gold Dot. One failure to feed the last round of a magazine and the slide did not lock back after that round was fired. Apparently the magazine had gotten some sand in it. Well, it had been some time since I have practiced malfunction clearance so I loaded a fired case into a couple of magazines to force a malfunction. It didn't work-the kimber loaded the empty cases. I was surprised so I tried it some more-same result. I'm starting to get fairly impressed with this handgun.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. They are nice, aren't they? You might experiment with different types of magazines; I've had grand luck with Wilson 7-round as well as Mec-Gar sevens. Best.

Blue Duck357

Suppose even Kimbers need a little break in sometimes. Then again my 1991A still hasn't malfunctioned in it's first two hundred rounds (Maybe they take longer for the break in to start :D)

Regards, Blue Duck

All my loaded rounds are loaded.

Blue Duck357

Not too interupt the thread but you mentioned good luck with the 7 round versions, having any luck with the 8 shot version? I'm not hearing much about them.

Thanks, Blue Duck

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, BlueDuck 357. I tried some of the 8-round magazines when they first came out. They worked fine in MOST of my guns MOST of the time, but the 7-round magazines worked fine in all of my 1911s. Therefore, I just stick with what works for me. I'm sure that these magazines have been improved as what I mentioned was a common problem. When I use a 1911 for serious purposes, it's fully loaded with a 7-rnd magazine and one in the spout so I don't feel like I'm giving up too much for utter reliability and confidence in the system being used.

Best.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
IDPA?

Hey Byron, do you shoot in Richland Cty? Thinking about dropping in at the next match.

FWIW, I got my Kimber on a Friday night, cleaned it , took six rounds to zero and shot a IPSC match the next morning. Over a thousand rounds since and nary a bobble..

Giz

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
The only malfunction I've had past the initial two hundred rounds in the Kimber was the one today that I attribute to debris in the magazine. All three are 8 rounders. One came with the handgun, one is a Springfield Armory stainless, and one is a Wilson. I believe that if I buy more magazines so I don't reuse one that has sand in it that I won't have a problem. At least that is my experience so far. As with most everything else, it is subject to change in the face of new facts.