Can't get copper out.

mrawesome22

Well I've had it. I have scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed but I can still see copper in the rifling in the end of my barrel. I've tried Birchwood Casey bore scrubber, Hoppes Elite Foaming Gun Cleaner, Outer's Nitro, and Remington Bore Cleaner. Nothing will get it out. Pulling my hair out here. Any ideas guys? Someone told me to let that Birchwood Casey sit in there for a couple hours to work on it. Well I did and it's still there. Also, I never see any blue or green patches like others talk about. Any idea why? All I ever get is black or grey patches. One thing I did notice was that after I let the Birchwood sit for about 3 hours, the patches that came out were EXTREMELY black. My rifle is still very accurate. Am I just being too meticulous?

Tim R

Try JB's Bore Paste.

I used to have the same problem taking the copper out of my match service rifles. JB's makes for short work.

jcadwell

None of the cleaners you listed is really a "Copper Only" type solvent. You want something that says "I eat copper, and only copper, and I'm bad for you. Don't leave me in your gun forever. Clean up after me with another solvent."

Shooter's Choice Copper Solvent works well. So does Sweets. Hoppes #9 Bench Rest work OK.

JB paste does work exceptionally well for stubborn deposits, but I don't like to use it often if possible.

Don't use any of the true copper solvents with the brass brushes. Use brass after you clean the copper solvent out. Use plastic if you need a brush with copper solvent.

JMK

Zerojunk, yes they still make it. Atleast I saw it last time I was in the gun shop. I have been tempted give it a try. How well does it work?

JMK

Fremmer

Try Outer's copper cleaner -- it is a foam. You put it into the barrel, wait a little while, and then clean with a couple of patches. According to many others, it works wonders for removing the copper, without hours of scrubbing.

donkee

I had the same problem with my Spr1903A3. Forget using cleaners and the like. I used an electronic bore cleaner and sucked all that stuff out in about 15 minutes. The bore was clean and shiny with no trace of the heavy copper fouling that was there before. I did find nasty gouges where the greeks had used steel cleaning rods. The copper filled the gouges so I really didn't see them till the bore was clean. Check http://www.surplusrifle.com/ for the plans to make one. It's cheap. I only use it for milsurps that need to have decades of neglect to clean out and for other badly fouled bores.

Bore cleaner test

For a study of bore cleaners with results, look here: http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

Father Frog also has a lot of home brew bore cleaners on his site. I currently use Butch's Bore Shine (one of the ammoniated cleaners) because I called and spoke with the maker. He tested it by puting a piece of 4140 barrel steel in it and letting it sit for 6 months. They removed it afterward and found no trace of etching or other damage. In your situation I would actually plug the bore with a neoprene stopper and fill it and let it sit overnight. You could then pour the product into a storage bottle for the same treatment another time, since you won't have consumed its capacity. It will have turned colors.

An electrolytic cleaner, like the Outer's Foulout will get it all, also. Fr. Frog has some home-made ones on his site.

Once it is out, consider firelapping to reduce fouling build-up in the future.

Nick

stinger

If it were me (and I have been there) I would choose one of two routes:

Clean over 2-5 day period with good ol' Hoppes. I would let it soak overnight, and clean in the morning. Then let it soak till I got home from work, and clean it. Then let it soak all night. Well, you get the picture. :)

Or, I would use Sweets 7.62 and just follow the directions. Sure, it hurts your skin, nasal cavites (youch!!!) and might possibly cause cancer if lab rats ate the equivalent of 457 million pounds in a 3 week period, but it works. Right as rain.

But most of the time, I don't worry about copper too much. If accuracy starts to degrade, then it's time to break out one of the two aforementioned routines. A little copper fouling in the barrel is not a problem, and really shouldn't be worried about.

Regards,

Stinger

hoghunting

I have 2 WSMs that get the barrel very nasty until the barrel has 50-100 rounds through them. I tried many of the cleaners mentioned and the one that worked the best for me was Wipe-Out foaming cleaner. Spray the bore with the foam and let it sit overnight (it doesn't hurt the barrel) and then patch it out. If the barrel is extremely dirty, then you might have to repeat the cleaning. Very simple and very effective.

Dave R

Simpler solution...

As Fremmer and Hog Hunt described, Wipe Out (or Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner) do wonders on copper.

I'd go overnight, as Hog Hunt suggested.

intruder

The best cleaner

Use bore tech eliminator will get copper out and will not use ammonia.See article in prescision shooting

Dave Haven

Another vote for Wipe Out. I use it with the Wipe Out Accelerator. It may take a few treatments, but it WILL remove all the copper fouling. And the powder fouling and the carbon fouling. It's elbow grease in a can.:cool:

tINY

The full strength amonia that you can get from the janitors supply or Home Depot will work just as well.

Swab it in the barrel, wait about an hour and then scrub witha plastic brush. Then run a dry patch through and clean as normal (at least one wet patch and one dry). Repeat as needed.

Remember that getting copper out is a mater of a chemical reaction. Let the amonia work for you.....

-tINY

Scorch

This may or may not be answering your original question, but if it shoots well, leave it alone. You run a greater chance of damaging the throat or crown with all the cleaning than by shooting a fouled barrel. If the accuracy is gone, use an Outers CopperOut cleaning kit.