Can't find Speer Gold Dot JHP 9mm for short barrels...

Mokumbear

I can't find Speer Gold Dot JHP 9mm +P for short barrels.
Hmm, never had a problem in the past.

Tried AmmoSeek.
Tried Google.

Anyone knows an internet ammo seller that has them in stock?

Thanks in advance...

t4terrific

I have been looking for months as my supply has dwindled. I can't find it in stores, or on line.

The lack of supply caused me to switch to Federal HST 124 +p.

Testing is available on Youtube showing it's performance out of 3" barrels, and it does very well. (So does the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 124+p.)

Mokumbear

OK, I watched the YouTube video and the Federal HST 9mm 124 +P looks good.

Unfortunately, I am running into the same situation as with Speer.
Every online retailer seems to be out of stock.

Do you know of anyone that has it in stock?

I thought the ammo drought was over? :confused:

t4terrific

OK, I watched the YouTube video and the Federal HST 9mm 124 +P looks good.

Unfortunately, I am running into the same situation as with Speer.

Every online retailer seems to be out of stock.

Do you know of anyone that has it in stock?

I thought the ammo drought was over? :confused:

I got some at one of the Palmetto State Armory's, in SC last time I was up there. Maybe they have it available on line too.

Mokumbear

No luck with Palmetto...

I put myself on the "notify list" with several online retailers
and will bide my time.

Mokumbear

Thanks for the suggestions, Wishoot but neither have them in stock.

AmmoSeek shows no online retailer with them in stock.

I wonder what the deal is.

I might write to Speer.
They were very good about answering a question the one time I wrote to them.

Doc. Caliban

Old therad, same problem.

I think it's all going to LE. Here's why:

After searching for it for two days, I called Speer and asked them about it.

Me: Is it still in production?

Speer: It is still in current production and being shipped regularly.

Me: Hmm. I can't find it anywhere, and it seems that no one has had it in stock forever. The only person I found who could even remember the last time they had it in stock said it had been last December.

Speer: Defense Ammo is very popular and sells out quickly like .22 ammo.

Me: I can find just about any other top shelf defense ammo, and while expensive, I can also find .22 ammo all day long. The Short Barrel 9mm Gold Dot is simply nonexistent. I wouldn't imagine it's government or LE buying it since the short barrel loads proabably aren't their thing.

Speer: It's not the government. Everyone wants to blame the government and come up with conspiracy theories. They aren't buying as much as they were 5 years ago. (which is not the same thing as sayting that they aren't buying an inordinate amount, but...) Once we ship it to distributors, we have no idea where it goes. (I'm guessing they get a bit of feedback about that, but...)

Me: Well, that's not what I said. I said the opposite; that I figured it isn't them because why would they want short barrel loads in large quantity?

Speer: You'd be surprised. The police departments by a lot of it for their detectives who carry compact pisotls. A LOT of it.

Me:

509852c2afa96f2d52000009.jpg

So according to Speer, they make it and ship it, they know there isn't any in retail, and LE buys "a LOT" of it. But it's not the government! Apparently that's a sensitive subject for them.

-Doc

They don't have a line for each load. They have one center-fire line. If LEO are buying up something else production will decrease.
I believe their G2 Gold dot has been recalled and is being replaced with a revised product. I'm not sure about the details on that process. I'm not really sure about the generalities either. All I know for sure is I have also been searching without luck.

Doc. Caliban

I'd think that they can tune how much of each load they are producing from their centerfire line during production. Again, according to them, they're making it and shipping it, but have no answer as to why there isn't any in retail channels.

When looking for this stuff it's importatnt to keep in mind that there are non-"short barrel" versions of the 124gr loads which are not as hard to find, but are not the same thing.

The Speer part numbers are:

23611 20-round box.
53611 50-round box. Supposedly the "Law Enforcement" packaging, but retailers used to have these as well from time to time. One reseller told me that they haven't seen the 50-round boxes for a long time though.

So again, based on what Speer said, it would seem that the Short Barrel 9mm production is going straight to someone other than retail.

-Doc

I'd think that they can tune how much of each load they are producing from their centerfire line during production.
I believe they can only make one type of cartridge at a time. Even switching between different 9mm loads probably involves some significant change-over costs.
in current production and being shipped regularly.
I don't think this means what you think it does. As I understand it "regularly" for ammo manufacturers might mean they only run that product every 6 or 12 months.