Can't find much on the Browning 1911-22

spacecoast

Thinking about one of these, I think my wife and daughter would enjoy the 85% size and 16 oz. weight. Read a magazine review saying it shot 1" groups at 25 yards.

Can't find much feedback - nothing here, on Gunbroker or at Bud's either. Does anyone have one? Like or dislike it? Is it even available for sale?

gyvel

What little I have been able to find out about it indicates it's made of Zamak and aluminum. After I read that, I lost interest.

spacecoast

Aluminum doesn't really bother me - they had to do something different to make it weigh less than half a standard size 1911.

Walt Sherrill

I think there's a review in the most recent GUNS & AMMO.

They liked it -- but there aren't any gun mag reviews where they don't like the gun. <grin>

DPris

Member Emeritus
Not in that pistol.
A .380 in a blowback aluminum top & bottom wouldn't hold together.
Denis

Pilot

A .380 mini 1911 would be cool!

They're out there. Llama IIIa. Perfect little 1911 clone in .380, .32 ACP and .22LR. I've got one in .380 and its a fun little shooter!

spacecoast

Well, just to be accurate, the Browning web site says -

The slide and frame are precision machined from aircraft grade 7075 T6 alloy for light weight and long life. A steel slide block encloses the firing pin and extractor, and a durable matte black anodized finish completes the overall package.

From what I've been able to find quickly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminum and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak), 7075 T6 alloy is approximately 90% aluminum along with 5-6% zinc and 1-2% each of copper and magnesium). Zamak, on the other hand, is predominantly zinc and only 4% aluminum, so there's a big difference.

DPris

Member Emeritus
GY,
No, I've talked to Browning directly at their company headquarters about that pistol.
It's built in Salt Lake City by the same company that builds Buckmarks for Browning, about 40 miles from my home.
NO Zamak.

If I said it again in both modern parlance and plain English- NO Zamak, would that help? :)
Denis

gyvel

If I said it again in both modern parlance and plain English- NO Zamak, would that help?
Denis

Not really; This is how they describe the pistol in their on line catalogue:

Frame - Alloy • Matte blued finish
Slide - Machined aluminum • Matte blued finish
Barrel - Stainless steel barrel block • Matte blued finish • Target Crown
Action - Blowback • Single-action trigger
Grips - Brown composite
Features - Fixed sights • Detachable 10-round magazine • Manual thumb safety • Grip safety

It seems as if there is a contradiction somewhere.:confused:

sigcurious

Seems like a neat little .22

Gyvel, Spacecoast has already posted that browning states it's an Aluminum alloy, ie primarily aluminum, not zamak. The term alloy covers any blended metals. You can go look at their website it says its plainly on their page for the 1911-22.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Gy,
As I said- I talked to them directly, and that aluminum frame & slide info was confirmed for publication at the time. They knew the reason I was asking & they knew their answer would be published, as it was.
If that's not good enough for you, then I guess you'll have to go through your entire life believing in your erroneous Zamak Theory. :)

Besides the which, to the best of my knowledge, the SLC company that makes them & the Buckmarks has no capability for Zamak, and it'd be a pointless complication to contract out with a third company for frames to be used by the second company in building product for the first company, Browning.

You are more than welcome to call Browning yourself & ask a qualified person about it.
Denis

danez71

jimminy crickets..... steel is an alloy.

Apparently, thousands of different guns made over that last 100 years have been made of Zamak and none of them have lasted.... but no one has known it. :(

Just about every metal used in any commercial/industrial application is some sort of alloy. Pure aluminum is both expensive and useless. Anything made of aluminum is an alloy with other elements added in varying proportions.

Steel is any of a gazillion (plus or minus a few) alloys of iron, carbon, chromium, nickel and other stuff. Stainless steel just varies the proportions and the other elements.

Brass and bronze are alloys of copper.

Scandium is just S&W's name for another alloy of aluminum. Their "scandium" frames are basically aluminum, with a small amount of scandium in the alloy.

In short, calling the 1911-22 frame "alloy" certainly does not mean or prove that it's Zamack. In actuality, it is a totally meaningless statement that conveys zero useful information (other than that the frame probably is not polymer).