Can't find Monarch .357 ammo ballistics anywhere

Blondie.357

It isn't on the box and doesn't seem to be on the internet.

It's always 158 grain JHPs and the first time I bought this ammo at Academy it felt somewhat mild, kind of like the Magtech brands, but yesterday, it felt very hot. It felt like I was shooting 158 grain bullets at 1500ish feet per second.

I'm shooting it out of a 6 inch 686P which is a full sized all steel .357 with hogue grips. My hand was still stinging from the recoil. I don't really mind it but I usually like to know what I'm shooting before hand.

Does this ammo have a reputation for being inconsistant with loadings or something?

Claddagh

When I was a young man, "Monarch" was the trade name for a line of ammo made in Canada. It was my understanding that they had gone OoB many years ago.

A short "Google" search was a bit inconclusive, as the brand is attributed as being an Academy Sports 'house' label, a Russian (Barnaul) brand and a Serbian product in different references there.

As far as determining actual ballistics, I'd suggest finding some way to access a chronograph and running a few rounds over the screens. If you have any remaining rds from your previous purchase for comparison, it'd yield some usefull information, too. I'd also take a careful look at all of the information on the respective packages, as if it is indeed an Academy trade name, it's quite possible that there is more than one manufacturer involved here. Country of origin should be listed somewhere on the boxes, anyway.

Hope this is of some help.

Blondie.357

I called my local range and asked if they had a chrongraph. They did, so next time I go there I'm going to use it with this ammo.