Can't deny: I'm a Wheelgunner

Larry C.

Howdy,

Today my wife gave me an early father's day gift: she renewed my membereship at the local outdoor range! Since 9mm ammo is DIRT cheap, I took only my Beretta 92FS and some steel plate worthy fodder.
After 150 rds I realized how much more FUN and satisfying it is to use my Revolvers instead! I started on a 586 many years ago, then a Python, then a Model 10. I only acquired the excellent Beretta 92 for the cheap ammo.
After being away from the range for almost a year, I've discovered how much I miss popping away with my wheelguns! To me it's so much more satisfying with my model 10 or old S&W 586. Additionally I'm faster and more accurate.
At the adjacent steel plate stall a nice fellow was using a Ruger GP100. He invited me to "give it a whirl". I knocked down all 6 plates at 10 yds in about 5 seconds, and that's after a year's lay-off. OK, so I'm no Jerry Miculek, but I'm confidant that I can do better with my 6 gun than my 92FS (which is still one fine combat pistol, BTW).
Anybody else prefer wheelguns to semi-autos? I know I'm not alone.

Larry C.

skeeter1

You're not alone

I've owned a couple of autoloaders (Berettas, hardly junk) and have shot a Colt 1911, but I prefer my wheelguns. I think the slide made the felt-recoil more than the revolvers. Another plus is the versatility of ammo compared to an auto. You can get a .357 Magnum and shoot everything from 148gr. .38 Spl wadcutters to 180gr. Corbons.

9mm ammo is cheap, but if you have a little free time in the evening, you can reload just about anything else for cheap, too.

Majic

I grew up shooting revolvers. Shooters around me thought kids and a .22 revolver made a perfect match. I spent a short time infatuated with 1911s (and still like them at times), but I realized there's nothing like a good revolver.

JJB2

I LOVE SHOOTING MY 1968 VINTAGE MODEL 27 S&W!!!!!!! nothing like shooting it with my own handloaded,own cast bulleted, accurate ammo!!

Jkwas

For me, shooting my P89 auto is almost too easy. It almost shoots itself, with nice tight groups and nary a glitch. But.... I get more satisfaction shooting my wheel guns. I use less ammo, take my time, and enjoy myself. 357 snub is my ccw, and unless I'm going to single handedly take on street gang, it's more than enough. I do enjoy sitting on the couch, dry firing my model 10 while watching TV. I can't say the same for my autos.

18DAI

I've been thinking about this alot lately. The 4566 I've been enamoured with jammed at the range Friday. I think it is a mag issue , and it's the only jam I've ever experienced with a S&W auto. I'm considering sending my PC 586-5 L-comp back to S&W's performance center for a re-blue, and trigger job to increase the pull. It's too light to carry, the trigger pull, not the revolver, I shoot my revolvers double action. I've got alot of fine semi auto's, but the S&W M66 3" ,and the L-comp just "feel" better when I'm carrying them. Theres no lingering doubts about them going boom when needed. They also may be more accurate for me than other types of handgun. Regards 18DAI.

oldmaster111

I also enjoy shooting several semi-auto pistols but when I need the make the shot, for sure, I use my S&W model 13, .357/.38 spl. Firing single or double action, she is so smooth and accurate.

swampdog

Me too

My wheelguns go boom everytime I pull the trigger. I like that in a handgun. I like my 1911 but I love my S&W's. I'm pretty fond of a couple of single action Rugers, too.

Jack Malloy

If you shoot in volume, unless you take 10 spare loaded magazines with you, wheelguns are a LOT more fun to shoot.
You just swing out the cylinder and stuff in the rounds.
Look ma, no cut thumbs or fingers!
LOL...

slow944

1965 Colt Trooper

I picked up this beauty a couple months back and I've fallen in love with wheel guns again. This gun was a holster queen and is tight like the wedding night. I was at the range recently and was shooting 38's in her and she was very accurate, so I tried the 357's and got everyones attention as they wanted to know what I was shooting that was so loud. I've always loved the crack of the 357 from a good revolver.