• G34

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • G30

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • G21/G21SF

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters

dave421

Ok, I unfortunately made the transition to the dark side and for some reason, I actually LIKE my Glock (is there any help for this, btw??? :D ). I bought a G26 since it fit what I was looking for the best but I'm having a hard time deciding what to get next. I'm looking to start competing in IDPA locally so that's part of the problem. I also actually prefer the 3rd. gen guns (or is it 2.5? regardless, I like the finger grooves, they fit my hands perfectly).

I'm trying to decide between the following and I'll list the reasons I like them.

19 (compact for good winter carry but easier on my arthritis than the 26)
17 (better for IDPA but more uncomfortable to conceal)
17L (is this available in the 3rd gen. guns? I haven't found one)
34 (probably the best option for IDPA but it will be restricted to range/comp only)
21/21SF (my roommate's issue 21 is the most accurate .45 for me with minimal practice)
30 (the Subcompact .45 is just calling to me now)

What do you guys think? I'll *probably* own a 21/21SF, 30, and one of the other 9mm by the end of the year but I'm trying to figure out what order to get them. The 21, 17/17L, & 34 will not be carried simply because the bbl length gets annoying when there's a shorter barreled alternative (and this is from experience with a P226, 1911, and sitting around with my roommate's 21). HELP!

*edit* I forgot to add, I'm not interested in other alternatives right now. After owning many "better" guns and owning or trying the competition, Glocks just sadly work too well for what I'm looking for. Trust me, I hated them, still think they're ugly, and believe there are "better" guns out there but I'm not looking for them. I'm also not interested in anything outside of 9mm & .45. The .40/.357/10mm kills my arthritis and turns range time from fun to a pain and 45GAP is too expensive/harder to find over .45acp.

Officer's Match

The G19 is the most appealing to me on your list, but I voted 34 because the 19 is too close to what you already have - some 19 or 17 mags and grip sleaves and you are pretty much at the 19 w' your 26. Might as well get something different in the same caliber. If you want the 19 size, why not consider a 38 GAP? You get your comfy size and 45 firepower.

tuckerdog1

I like variety & options. So I voted for the 21. The smaller 45s are still too large for carry ( IMHO ), so I'd choose the full size. If ya want larger mags for the 26, just buy some.
They don't cost all that much.

Tuckerdog1

9x19

My vote is for the Glock 34.... mine is excellent, and they rule the roost in IDPA matches. :D

allenomics

I believe the G19 is best all around.

I bought a G19 and a G34, but not a G17. In .45ACP, my choice was G21SF over the G21.

I'm pleased with my three decisions.

dave421

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 34 if I get a 9mm next. After all, if I hold off on the 19 until end of the year, I can still carry my 26 which I have no problem grouping with. I'm *really* wanting a 21SF & 30 though but I just don't like the fact that I know I won't shoot as much with them (I can get 9mm for next to nothing locally) and that will put me off of starting IDPA. Granted, I can do IDPA with the 26 or 21 but I'd like to be the "item" keeping me from being competitive rather than my gun. Plus the extra cost of .45acp will keep me from choosing it for competition. Man, decisions decisions.

Oh yeah, KCperson, I've never liked 1911s. I bought one and still didn't like it. So..... no 1911s for me.

dave421

officer's, 421 is actually just a lucky number kind of thing. When I moved out for college, I moved into apartment 421. Then I moved into apartment 21 on the 4th floor. then I moved into building 421. It just kinda followed me around (I moved A LOT when I was 18-21). It later came up from when I was a pot-head. I realized what I was doing to myself and gave it up (the fact that it didn't have the "enjoyment" of when I started helped as well I'm sure). Anyway, an older, wiser acquaintance told me about when she finally grew up and quit smoking pot. She said that she started celebrating 4:21 instead of 4:20 (for those that don't know, 4:20 is the unofficial time to get high). I really liked the observation/idea and it stuck with me too. After that, it became more than just a lucky number. Ever since then I've used Dave421 as a sn and it often gets incorporated into other aspects of my life as well, even naming my old motorsports shop after it.

austinguy23

Why not the 36?

I didn't notice the 36 among your list of viable options for you. It's just like the 30 except with a more manageable grip size.

Otherwise, I'd go with the 19. It seems to be the most popular model for good reason.

dave421

I didn't list the 36 since it seems to be the only Glock that could remotely be considered problematic and it presents a solution for something that I don't have a problem with. I've got big hands so the 30 is not uncomfortable. The 21 feels slightly too large and the 21SF feels great but for some reason, the double stack 30 doesn't feel too big. I guess it's due to the shorter grip and the cut being slightly different. So, I'd rather have the 10 rounds with a larger grip that's not uncomfortable than the 6 or so rounds with a grip that's unnecessarily smaller (for me).

dave421

nobanforme, my roommate owns a sw99 (the S&W P99). I really don't care for it. If I've got a DA/SA weapon, I want a nice crisp SA pull. Not the mushy 2 mile long "AS" trigger they've got on the P99/SW99. I really hate the DA pull as well. I'd much rather buy a Sig CPO, save a few bucks, and have something that actually feels good. I realize the P99 is popular (my roommate loves his) but it's just not for me. Once I bought my P226, the P99/SW99 felt horrible.