Can't Be--My BHP Jams!

MK11

My beloved Browning High Power gave me a rude wakeup today with the slide not going fully into battery. Using two 10 round Klinton mags loaded to capacity, it would gag every round until the magazine was down to five, then work fine. It happed with both mags.

This has been one of my most reliable pistols. I'm assuming it's just the mags and will order the righteous 13-rounders tonight. However, I was having flash backs to my Kimber Pro Carry gagging because the slide stop was too long and nudging against the magazine. Does anyone have any other suspicions on what was going on here?

Wrangler5

Strange. My BHP works fine with the 10 rounders - I have 3 parkerized MecGars with the rat trap springs at the bottom, and use them for IDPA where there's a 10 round max load rule. Keeps me from having to count as I load (things get harder as you get older.)

Now I did find that those mags were an absolute BITCH to load with 10 rounds when new. I ended up cutting off 3 coils of the magazine springs, and they became tolerable to load and still cycle the last round and lock the side. I didn't have any cycling problems with the original, impossible springs, but that may just be my gun. If you have a use for the 10 rounders, you might try trimming a coil or two off the springs before you pitch them.

Pilot

Wolff

Go to this website an order an 18.5 lb (extra power) recoil spring and either 5% or 10% extra power magazine springs. The heavier recoil spring will still cycle standard pressure ammo. Get some standard capacity (13 - 15) round mags. MecGar makes 15 rounders.

http://www.gunsprings.com

Dave R

Are you using Wolf 9mm ammo? That's the one kind of ammo my BHP will NOT digest. Cases stick all the time.

MK11

No, WWB 100 round pack.

Thanks for the tips. Does the extra power spring beat up the gun more? I thought the heavier springs were only if you shoot a lot of +P stuff.

steveracer

Extra Power spring will PREVENT damage.

Not cause it. This will reduce the battering of the slide on the frame. I found that using a buffer for range use really helps with this. I remove it for carry, though, and switch back to the 16lb spring for carry as well.

Pilot

Not cause it. This will reduce the battering of the slide on the frame. I found that using a buffer for range use really helps with this. I remove it for carry, though, and switch back to the 16lb spring for carry as well.

This is my experience also, however, I find the 18.5 lb spring to be TOTALLY reliable with all ammo including WWB standard pressure and +p stuff. I don't shoot much +p at all. I also use a shock buffer for range work and remove it for carry. My BHP is 12 years old and looks and works like new.

Pilot

Just ordered an 18.5 pound spring. Thanks guys, I'm hoping this does the trick.

You also want the higher power mag springs so the mags can keep up with the faster recoil spring. This is key.